Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm in the process of joining a band as a bass player I have been looking for some easy to carry and compact bass rig.
The EBS Microbass 3 was announced this NAMM and I'm sold on it.
https://ebssweden.com/content2/ebs-release-the-microbass-3-at-the-namm-show-2019/
I'M GETTING THAT ONE!!!!! LOOKS SO GOOD! All in one. Compressor preamp DI and tuner, yes!!

However before this, when looking for something small and easy to bring to shows, almost everywhere, people raved about and praised the Sansamp Bass preamp... And I've heard them in person too...

THE OVERDRIVE STINKS! It literally sounds like a long fart.

Skip to 12:15

All other demos sounds like this.

Ok so personally I'm not even gonna use overdrive AT ALL because I like a super clean bass tone, but I really wonder
why so many people like this.

They sound GREAT when clean, absolutely, I was close to buying one before the EBS Microbass 3 was announced.

But how comes so many people not understand the overdrive sounds asssssss:mad:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Easy to find, reliable. The real issue is sounding like every other bassist that uses one. The three preset one is fun too.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Clawfinger went direct with their Sansamp and got some amazing grindy bass tones. Then again I think they had some heavy EQing. The Sansamp distortion seems to shine when you pump it through an amp and some cabs.

·
18,790 Posts
Yep. Sansamp into an Ampeg stack is a classic sound. They also seem to sound best with passive pickups, but that might just be my preference.

They can sound great direct, too. Mostly, they sound better in a mix than they do on their own. Mostly, this guy cranked the drive too high, and didn't blend in enough clean. That's where they shine. I also liked the MXR Bass DI+ I had in my old rig. Didn't sound the best on its own, but it sounded killer in the mix. Again, keeping the drive a little conservative and blending in a lot of clean.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
It's also surprising just how good a ratty, shitty, fizzy sounding distortion can sound when used as the high frequency track layered against a clean DI track. You wouldn't think so, but a bit of EQ and they can sound awesome.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sansamp into SVT = glorious (also the sound of a million rock/metal records). Most overdrives sound better through a cab or cab simulator; it's also very possible that this guy just hasn't dialed it in very well as it's a very powerful pedal with a lot of sounds.

The Tech 21 VT Bass does a good job of getting a more Ampeg-y sound, but it's not the easiest pedal to use as the Character and Drive controls are also very powerful and interactive.

My favorite bass distortion reviewer guy is MrExcane, as he's very consistent in what he plays and how he frames it, so you can hear the differences between pedals. https://www.youtube.com/user/MrExcane/videos . Unfortunately, I don't see any Tech 21 vids on his site.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
The SA shit is iconic...but the Darkglass shit is better.:2c:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Because most bassists are shitty guitarists and don't realize that everyone should try and cop Steve Harris's SiT era tone with the ultra sick GK cabs.

Never been a fan of the unit either. It's popular because it works for most guitar centric stuff, it works well in terms of the bass being strictly backup to guitars and gel'ing with them, but if you want Iron Maiden type bass tones or the really sick classic Helloween bass tone on albums like Time of the Oath, it's not that useful.

Works great for like, general hard rock/heavy metal where the bass is in a support role though. Depends on the style of lines you write.

I would rather have something like this.

There are multiple ways to design bass sounds from the ground up though. The "Blend" method where you are blending two or more signals works really well and has been popular for decades now in hard rock/metal but I like the old school idea of just starting out with something straight out of an amp.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
Yeah, I don't get it either. I love the SansAmp for clean tones, it into an Ampeg is my go-to rig for bass. But the moment it gets pushed into distortion, it immediately falls apart. The SansAmp ProTools plugin is actually pretty alright at distorted tones, which confuses me a bit. What does the PT plugin have in common with the commonly-seen SA pedal?

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, I don't get it either. I love the SansAmp for clean tones, it into an Ampeg is my go-to rig for bass. But the moment it gets pushed into distortion, it immediately falls apart. The SansAmp ProTools plugin is actually pretty alright at distorted tones, which confuses me a bit. What does the PT plugin have in common with the commonly-seen SA pedal?
SansAmp plugin/pedal =/= to SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

The SansAmp plugin is based on the original SansAmp guitar pedal. It's almost impossible to find good demos of them online, as a lot of them are Nirvana fanboys :lol: I know Nine Inch Nails use(d) them direct for a lot of their guitar tones.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I also noticed the TSE model of the BDDI sounds MUCH better than the real thing. It's got a tighter sound and less gain on board. I bought a BDDI solely because of the plugin and was disappointed when the dirt sounded nothing like it.

Also what Flexkill said is also true. Darkglass seems to do a much better job with dirty sounds. I really wanna try an Alpha Omega Ultra.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love the BOD VST for clean bass tones myself but agree, for gainer tones I look at other options (but honestly, most of the time when tracking bass I tend to just go for a traditional big/fat clean-ish) tone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.