Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read that Halo 5 isn't going to have splitscreen or local LAN of any kind. What the fuck. Maybe I'm in the minority, but 90% of my time with the Halo series has been spent with a couple of friends in the same room. The series has really gone downhill since 343 took over. Reach was amazing but the multi went to shit as soon as Bungie handed it over to 343, Halo 4 seemed pretty mediocre, the Master Chief Collection is STILL broken, and now this? Guess I'll stick with Destiny for my sci fi shootman fix.

For real though, it seems like local multiplayer has just totally fallen by the wayside these days, where it used to be a pretty standard feature. It's sad. Unless you have a Wii, you're mostly relegated to sports games and fighting games, neither of which are really fun unless everybody is at roughly the same skill level, or quirky indie games. I enjoy playing games on my own as much as any other pasty shut-in, but has everybody forgotten how much fun it was to play Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Halo, Gears of War, and a million other games with a bunch of people in the same room?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Because they're trying to push the hardware as much as possible, when you bring in a second player you're almost doubling the amount of processing required. Cell shaded games like Borderlands get away with it as the limited textures and minimal anti aliasing frees up processor space. That's why we have a Wii U here so we can play local games whilst getting pissed and reliving our teenage years.

Nothing beats mario kart.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
It's also because local co-op and split screen doesn't allow the game to send metrics and other performance/usage data back so the company can monitor them and use them to improve and sell the game.

It's also just sheer numbers. The number of people using local split screen is just not very large, despite people like you and myself loving it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Because game designers assume people have no nearby friends, just like them.

Some of the most fun I've ever had in my life was 16-person Halo 2 LAN with four TVs and 4 Xboxes. Especially with swords-only :lol:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's also just sheer numbers. The number of people using local split screen is just not very large, despite people like you and myself loving it.
I'd argue this is kind of a chicken and egg thing. People aren't using it because fewer and fewer games include it, especially among really popular, AAA releases. It's kinda like when Nintendo was refusing to implement online play because they claimed their players didn't want it. How did they know if they weren't offering it? :lol:

I think you guys are right about the technical issues with implementing it. I know it's not as easy as just flipping a switch, and I imagine that the better the graphics get, the harder it gets to make it work with rendering for 2-4 players on the same machine. I'm just bummed because stuff like this:

Josh said:
Some of the most fun I've ever had in my life was 16-person Halo 2 LAN with four TVs and 4 Xboxes. Especially with swords-only
is better than playing against faceless, foul-mouthed, racist twelve year olds on the internet any day.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Gish is still the funnest shared monitor multiplayer game in my book. PC only, but it gets vicious. I don't really like small indie games, but that game was fucking vicious. It was just about an amorphous blob that could stick to things or change density at will, and the fights were vicious and involved a surprising amount of strategy.

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Noticed this when I was looking for games for me and the wife to play together. Settled on Diablo III for PS4 which has been awesome. But what we really wanted was like a Dead Island style zombie killing game that we could co-op on the couch. Seems like every game in that genre has gone towards online only co-op.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I would guess there are a lot of factors involved not the least of which is changing markets. I don't really buy the technical limitations argument. Back when Turok and Goldeneye multiplayer made us all daydream like 8th graders about boobies they were pushing the boundaries of graphics and processing back then. Split screen multiplayer is far less about the graphics and more the sheer fun of whacking about with your friends. I'm not sure the current 15-25 yr old gamers are really doing that much any more. Much younger than that and you don't have the access to transportation and freedom to gather, much older and you've got wives and kids coming into the mix. That tends to throw a wet blanket on things.

Hell, I'm lucky if I can even get some on-line time with my old gaming buddies these days.

We just have to admit that the world is leaving some of us old farts behind. Not sure if it's for the better or not, but it's the reality.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
There are probably a lot of different things factoring into this but a few I thought up are as follows:

a) games on phones are single-player only but usually "multiplayer"
b) cross-platform development / higher costs and wanting larger profit margins
c) kids growing up playing on computers which have traditionally been single-person only
d1) internet with high speeds
d2) home networking
e) party chat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts