Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about them, but its to the point that I forget about them, and then randomly remember them again at a later time. :lol: They have a bunch of artists on their site, but the only "artist" I knew off the top of my head that has used them was Dave Navarro...oh and Type O used them for a while before Schecter too I believe. I am really gassing for a Ravelle, badly. Not as bad as I am (still) gassing over the Tele/V that is still going to happen :metal: but these Ravelles look very nice and go for somewhat cheap.

(Remove the EMG's and Droooooool)

Anyone actually ever own one of these? The only Fernandes i've ever played was a 6 string bass my step father had, and it was a very nice bass. Never played a Fernandes guitar unfortunately, especially this model.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
"Unknown"? :scratch: They're pretty famous. Sure, they're not as famous as Gibson or Fender or Jackson or ESP, but they're still pretty well known. I see a ton of them every time I go in a guitar shop.

I think they sell more guitar-related things than guitars, though.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
"Unknown"? :scratch: They're pretty famous. Sure, they're not as famous as Gibson or Fender or Jackson or ESP, but they're still pretty well known. I see a ton of them every time I go in a guitar shop.

I think they sell more guitar-related things than guitars, though.
Disagree. First of all, Fernandes dealers are few and far between, and, like Maverick, they never really got the attention they deserved for putting out kickass instruments for little wedge.

Seeing them in every guitar shop is moot as they are a lot more popular in Japan, and stores that have a Fender or Gibson dealership have the option to get them in.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Disagree. First of all, Fernandes dealers are few and far between, and, like Maverick, they never really got the attention they deserved for putting out kickass instruments for little wedge.

Seeing them in every guitar shop is moot as they are a lot more popular in Japan, and stores that have a Fender or Gibson dealership have the option to get them in.
While I didn't see them at every guitar store in the US, I definitely saw them often enough to not be able to consider them "unknown."

I'm pretty sure that Fernandez is owned by Fender, which is why Fenders and Fernandezes are usually in the same store (when they ARE in the store, that is).

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I've never seen one in a store before, actually the axe palace is the only B&M store I know off-hand which carries them.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
While I didn't see them at every guitar store in the US, I definitely saw them often enough to not be able to consider them "unknown."

I'm pretty sure that Fernandez is owned by Fender, which is why Fenders and Fernandezes are usually in the same store (when they ARE in the store, that is).
We are the only fernandes dealer in the south half of the state, and we havent had a single fernandes in house for over 8 years.

They are not rare as fuck shit balls, no. They are more common than KXK Sherman Tiesco Dano Hybrid Joint efforts, yes. There are tens to hundreds of fender/ibanez/epiphone/whatever dealers to each fernandes dealer though, at least around the useful, west of the rockies side of the country

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

Nope. Nothing to do with FMIC

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I hate to say it. But their N.American dealership sucks ballz. I've yet to go to a dealer that's listed on their site, that had anything worthwhile in stock.

Although I've picked a couple of their gtrs up over the years. Their Elite series is top notch. And now some of their high end MIJ stuff is becoming available again here in the US again (Revolver Classic).

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
...Fernandes...?
Crazy... I guess all their Fender copies led me to believe that they must've been owned by Fender. They have a sub-brand called Burny that I've never seen in the US that makes pretty crappy Gibson-esque guitars (they aren't all crappy, but in general, they are).

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
i was just looking at a lefty fernandez on ebay. i may have to do a little bit more research on them. all the ones i have seen from them have been pretty solid!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
In all the stores ive been to, i think i've only seen a handful in person, over the past decade.

Thats said, i wouldnt mind owning one of their baritones or 7s.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Crazy... I guess all their Fender copies led me to believe that they must've been owned by Fender. They have a sub-brand called Burny that I've never seen in the US that makes pretty crappy Gibson-esque guitars (they aren't all crappy, but in general, they are).
Nope. Those are the same sort of unauthorized knock-offs that ESP makes in the Edwards and Navigator lines solely for the Japanese market. BTW, some of the old Burny Les Paul knock-offs from the '80s are supposed to be quite good, and they command decent prices now.

That's been Fernandes's biggest problem outside Japan. Their best-selling guitars can't be sold outside Japan for legal reasons, and their own designs are not as successful. Fernandes used to sell their knock-offs in the USA until the early '80s, and their old Strat knock-offs are considered to be some of the best of that genre. In fact, I played a baby blue one this week at a local used guitar store, and it destroyed any of the Mexi-Fenders in the store.

As for famous Fernandes players, don't forget Robert Fripp. His main touring Les Paul for years has been a Fernandes knock-off.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did they go through a phase where they just made shit guitars or something? Were they ever really big in the US? Other than the bass, i've never seen one in person. Some of their shapes aren't for me, but they seem to be all very nice. I don't understand why there isn't more people playing them. After the Tele V is finished, I think i'm going to invest in a Ravelle.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts