Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i plug a hardline into my router its fine, super fast, just like my wireless normally is. As of tonight, my wireless is super slow. its done this once or twice before, but ive always just cycled the power and wham its fine. not the case right now. Its on all devices, so is it my router?

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
What kind of WiFi? I haven't used Wireless N yet, but I find B and G suck so much balls. I fucking hate WiFi because of those 2 pieces of shit.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it. Flashed the firmware to a rollback and back up to current and that fixed it :shrug:

FWIW typically, my network bandwidth remains the same, my ping just goes up about 20% on wireless n. G doesnt give me too many issues, although its noticable compared to the n setting

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Maybe a neighbour just got a WiFi network and has their router set to the same (or a close) channel?

Use a scanning app to check out other networks in the area and if possible, assign yours to a channel that's at least three channels up or down from the nearest competing signal.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, all the networks i found were on 1,3, or 4, and i have mine set to 9. I have no idea, but just reflashing firmware didnt help, but rolling back then flashing back up to standard fixed it. Who knows, its a cheap router.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SLOW IS BACK :fuck:. packet loss >30% over wireless, typically its <5%. what causes such outrageous packet loss intermittently?

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Something weird has been going on with my Linksys Wireless-N router as well. It's like it loses internet connectivity or it becomes ultra slow. I was thinking that the router might be just getting old, but a few other people I know have been having weird wireless issues lately as well.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive noticed more people having a hard time with linksys shit lately as well. also, a lot of the linksys -n shit isnt N certified, just up to N standards, or at least cisco says so. Murder.

What are good brands, ive always been a linksys whoar since ive always had great luck with them. I love my linky modem :shrug:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Solar flares? :shrug:
I'm not going to kid you, and maybe it's just me looking too deep into it, but that's exactly what I first thought, because it seemed to be too coincidental, in addition to a few other people I know having a very similar problem.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
ive noticed more people having a hard time with linksys shit lately as well. also, a lot of the linksys -n shit isnt N certified, just up to N standards, or at least cisco says so. Murder.

What are good brands, ive always been a linksys whoar since ive always had great luck with them. I love my linky modem :shrug:
I've always used Linksys, and always had relatively good luck with them as well, but I am thinking of going another route(r). I wouldn't mind hearing some other suggestions as well.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I've had a Linksys WRT-54G for ages, and i've been running the DD-WRT firmware on it, allowing me to boost the antenna power a bit. I think these things just die after a while. My previous Apple AirPort base station started getting unreliable and then just packed it in after about five or six years.

The DD-WRT was also getting unreliable after about the same time, frequently dropping my connection or being hard to find when my machine woke from sleep. I've replaced it with an Apple Time Capsule, which acts as my N router and backup, and so far it's been rock solid.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
It might be possible it is bad if it is sort of old, the consumer grade wireless all-in-ones are really really crappy as far as parts and build-quality go. Ever wonder why a business grade access point (not router) costs 3-4 times as much ? lol

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, with more research its just my MBP, and its got outrageously high pingtimes (>500ms ove 90% of the time, and often over 2000ms) over wireless, everything else pings the router in under 20, but it pings anything on the network slow, and anything else on the network (even my iphone) pings it slow. so its got a slow connection, that it didnt use to have. Whazgoinon?

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Sure sounds like it is pointing to your laptop. Maybe try rebuilding the wireless config on the MBP?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apparently, the early 2010 MBPs dont play as nice with lower wireless channels, unless they have a particularly strong signal. Like, soon as it autoswitched to channel 9 it ran fine, but soon as it went back down, it was low. Force set to channel 11, and its been fine since then. What a weird issue. Well see in the following days if this fixes it

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Something's definitely up with my network...

I finally deduced the fact that my Linksys Wireless-N is not working. Some devices would see each other across the network, but absolutely no internet.

Then Comcast was having outages in my area, so I second guessed my first guess about the router, so I borrowed another one from someone else (Belkin N+ Wireless Router).

Well, everything seemed back to normal, until I lost network connectivity and internet. Wired, everything is rock solid. I guess Comcast has fixed their end of the deal. Wireless is a totally different ballgame. Sometimes I will have solid, solid connections to the network resources and internet, sometimes I lose one or the other, and sometimes I lose both. It seems to progressively be getting better, but I think I'm just going to go pick up a brand new router tomorrow.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
So here's where I'm at a big loss now...

I go and buy a brand new Linksys E1000 router, thinking that I'm just having the router issues with these two older ones here.

Well, it turns out that this Linksys is acting just like my other Linksys. It will let me see devices across the network, but absolutely no internet at all. It's like my ISP doesn't work with the Linksys routers. So I use the Belkin, and I get internet back, but still a shaky wireless deal across the network (slow internet, internet dropping, computers and printers falling off network).

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what kind of modem do you have? when you check the router, is it getting assigned an external IP? I had an issue early one with not getting net and it turned out the modem wasnt assigning the router an IP. 2 things helped, cloning the computers MAC, and a full powercycle from the wall all the way to the computer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts