Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not only does he nail Layne's parts, but at the end, he gets all Chris Cornell on our asses.

At this point, I'm entirely satisfied as a hardcore AIC fan with Will being in the band. I probably never would have said that 10 years ago, but he's just too damn perfect for the band.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
yeah I've been on the Willbus since I saw them in 09 unplugged I think.

maybe it is his own thing that just happens to sound exactly like Layne......lol

that Kashmir was breathtaking. Orchestrally and vocally

·
Guitar noob
2,202 Posts
yeah I've been on the Willbus since I saw them in 09 unplugged I think.

maybe it is his own thing that just happens to sound exactly like Layne......lol
I bet in his case he's showing respect to the devoted Layne fans. I mean even if Will is a better singer, he's got some big shoes to fill. Kudos to him to pull it off, he pays respect while he also does it better.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Will is awesome, I would rather hear him do his own thing in Alice in Chains though.
I find he does when playing on the new stuff.

It's a lose/lose, IMO. He tries to copy Layne, he'll get bashed for it. He tries to do his own thing, he'll still get bashed for it.

·
Guitar noob
2,202 Posts
I find he does when playing on the new stuff.

It's a lose/lose, IMO. He tries to copy Layne, he'll get bashed for it. He tries to do his own thing, he'll still get bashed for it.
I haven't heard the new album but when I heard black gives away to blue(or whatever the name was) he's definitely doing the layne thing.

Yeah must be a hard position to be in. It's like if Pantera reformed and someone would take Dimebags place...

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If Will did his own thing in Alice In Chains, it wouldn't sound like Alice In Chains. I suppose it could, as I haven't heard it, but him doing the 'Layne thing' is essentially what his job is. I think he could probably drive the Layne sound home a bit more if he wanted to, but he really just sticks with the pitch/phrasing of Layne. Vocal tone is still his own, but that's the aspect I bet he could get closer to Layne if he wanted.

If the guys weren't using the AIC name, then I'd rather hear him go outside the Layne territory, but being that it's AIC, he's gotta keep that feel alive.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Most people say he's doing the "Layne thing"... While part of that is true, I think he does put some of his own thing in there as well, IMO. "His thing" just isn't that far from what Layne used to do.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah. We need to keep in mind, this isn't just a case of a voice that existed in a vacuum within the band. Layne's voice worked incredibly well with Jerry's. So, there's still a need to have a voice that works similarly well, because, obviously, Jerry's still around and singing.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Found a version where Jerry mentions that it's the first time they played the song live. Audio is a little better too.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Will kicks ass!

I like how he naturally sounds like Layne, but he is almost complete opposite of lane personality wise. His work in AIC is really, really good and he is a great fit. I can't wait for their new album.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts