Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Fireface UC today to replace my tc electronic impact twin.
I got a little disappointed in the adapter I got with the unit as I can't connect it to my power conditioner, with the tc electronic adapter I could though!
It turns out they both got the same kind of connector that you connect to the device, so I was wondering if I can use the tc electronic adapter with the fireface?

I never really got that volt/ampere/watt stuff, haha.

Anyway, here's the adapters:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
To replace power supply A with power supply B, you need to ensure 3 things:

1. Both connectors must have the same polarity on each terminal
2. The voltage must be the same
3. Power supply B's current (amperage) rating must equal or exceed that of power supply A

These two adapters have opposite polarity (rule 1) - DO NOT INTERCHANGE THEM.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Box Smasher)

What Keith said. DC adapters are a bit scary to go around swapping willy nilly

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

The green is the voltage, which is the same. Blue is amperage which is the same (they both need to be as much as the original.

Red is different. Current flows in the - direction. So on one, its flowing out the middle of the connector and back in through the sheath. On the other, its flowing out through the sheath and in through the center. (That's a gross oversimplification, but it gets the point across).

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, thanks guys.

You can easily swap the connection on the end to one that will plug into your power conditioner.
If I understand you correctly you mean I can just plug the standard 3 pin cable from the power conditioner to the adapter, right?
That's what I did when I used the tc adapter. That other one has this small silly connection that don't fit with that cable though. So annoying.

I guess I'll just plug it in the wall and not take advantage of the power conditioner I've spent lots of money on! -_-

·
getting schwifty
1,285 Posts
With some soldering or an adapter, you can mod either unit to suit polarity and or form factor. Just depends on which unit you prefer to keep..

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Hey, thanks guys.

If I understand you correctly you mean I can just plug the standard 3 pin cable from the power conditioner to the adapter, right?
That's what I did when I used the tc adapter. That other one has this small silly connection that don't fit with that cable though. So annoying.

I guess I'll just plug it in the wall and not take advantage of the power conditioner I've spent lots of money on! -_-
No, I mean you cut the end off that plugs into the wall and you stick the type of plug that goes into your power conditioner on it. If you can operate a pair of scissors and a screwdriver, you're set.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Not having seen clear pictures of both connectors, I can't say for certain, but you probably just need something like this:

IEC C14 to C7 Cords (I have no idea if that site is a reputable one, they just turned up first in my Google search)

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not having seen clear pictures of both connectors, I can't say for certain, but you probably just need something like this:

IEC C14 to C7 Cords (I have no idea if that site is a reputable one, they just turned up first in my Google search)
Oh, nice. Looks like that's what I need for sure. Thanks!

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I got a reply from the RME support today

Hello,

why won't the adapter connect to the conditioner? To answer the question, the TC adapter's polarity is reversed, but it will still work.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME
It doesn't really matter now as I'll just get one of those IEC C14 to C7 Cords that keithb linked to. Makes me wonder who's right though :p

EDIT:
Told him about what Keith said about opposite polarity
Hello,

the advice is correct in prinnciple, and you should not switch them the other way, but the FF will take any polarity, even AC.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Great customer service from RME I might add. And the fireface is awesome too! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts