Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with this?
We have a user over in the states who is field based, and he has a recurring issue with his laptop. Every few weeks he goes from having 60gb+ of HDD space, to literally a few MB. This is all down to temp files ranging from 1gb to 4gb and up. I've tried googling this, and no joy whatsoever, as it seems to only happen when the user tries to sync, and syncing fails.

Initially I thought this might be something to do with .pst files continually jumping into the Offline Files folder, and not being removed, but I've already trained and retrained the user on several occasions (however, whether this training is actually being used is another matter).

Anyone got any ideas? At the end of my tether with this, and close to just getting the user to visit one of our sites so I can rebuild the fucking thing :mad:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
What the flying fuck?

I'll be watching this thread, because I have never seen this one before.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, just tried 2 syncs, both times with the .pst in the Offline Files folder, both times it failed, but after different amounts of time. First time it created a 2.4GB .tmp file, the second time it was a 4.1GB file. They aren't immediately this size though. After a failed sync, I cannot open the offline files folder again to try and resync, which means I have to reboot, which is when these files go *poomf* and expand. They start off around a few hundred KB.

Decided I'm just gonna rebuild it, but it would be REALLY handy to know why it's doing this in the first place.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
That is bizarre behavior. I would also like to know what is causing it.

Question: Wouldn't it be easier to use OWA for a remote user?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is bizarre behavior. I would also like to know what is causing it.

Question: Wouldn't it be easier to use OWA for a remote user?
The only issue we have with that, is that our mailbox limits are 500mb, and the field based users are all sales reps who receive large attachments in quotes and whatnot, so to stop them reaching their limits, they use archives, which are backed up (using the backup tool in Outlook), to our server. If they were just using their mailboxes, it wouldn't be an issue.

The problem of the .pst randomly appearing in the Offline Files folder is a recurring one we have to deal with almost every other day with other users, but none of them are getting these mahoosive temp files.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I hate Outlook's archiving. Well, I hate Outlook in general :lol:

Here they make the archive locally stored, so it's pretty fucking useless if you change PCs or your PC dies.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate Outlook's archiving. Well, I hate Outlook in general :lol:

Here they make the archive locally stored, so it's pretty fucking useless if you change PCs or your PC dies.
Ours are stored locally, that's what the back-up is for :lol:

It's locally stored, and then it's backed up to our file server on however many days the user chooses (it's sat ast 7 for default when we give them it).

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Ours are stored locally, that's what the back-up is for :lol:

It's locally stored, and then it's backed up to our file server on however many days the user chooses (it's sat ast 7 for default when we give them it).
So this isn't some wonky network related issue? It's just Outlook shitting the bed? :lol:

I imagine this is happening when Outlook actually writes the .pst file :scratch:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
You're using offline files, and sticking a PST file in there? Seems like a recipe for disaster, when the PST gets large.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So this isn't some wonky network related issue? It's just Outlook shitting the bed? :lol:

I imagine this is happening when Outlook actually writes the .pst file :scratch:
No no. The PST file is fine. Nothing to do with outlook either. Windows just won't sync PSTs, and it's trying to, then erroring, then throwing up huge temp files.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're using offline files, and sticking a PST file in there? Seems like a recipe for disaster, when the PST gets large.
Nope, we don't put them in there, they magically appear in there. Windows knows not to accept them, it just does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts