Metal Guitarist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Did people not realise this as soon as they announced Cortana inclusion? The exact same thing happens with Siri & Google Now too.

Personally I always disable anything that pops up unless I've specifically told it to. I do not want any kind of attention grabbing intrusions. You can also fully delete Cortana which in part destroys the start menu then you go and install classicshell and have a nice classic start menu with none of the bullshit.

At that point windows 8.1 is both faster and looks better. I am so glad that I only upgraded my laptop and can downgrade again anytime within the first month.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I'm installing Fedora on my spare SSD right now :lol: really not happy that Microsoft has chosen to go this direction with the shady shit.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm installing Fedora on my spare SSD right now :lol: really not happy that Microsoft has chosen to go this direction with the shady shit.
I can't believe you would have ever expected anything after the recent NSA shit and the whole xbox one launch fiasco. Also Microsoft in general. They've always been shady as shit.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Are you some kind of Linux masochist? Go with Ubuntu man, it's so solid these days.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Are you some kind of Linux masochist? Go with Ubuntu man, it's so solid these days.
Fedora has been pretty good to me through the years. It's running well on here now as well. If I was a "linux masochist" I'd be running Slackware again :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I can't believe you would have ever expected anything after the recent NSA shit and the whole xbox one launch fiasco. Also Microsoft in general. They've always been shady as shit.
Never this shady, not with an OS upgrade like this. Shady shit in individual software is one thing, but at the OS level? Hell no.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Glad I caught this thread, I had a PC issue last week and just installed 8.1 and knew they had the free upgrade coming out. I think Im gonna stay right where Im at.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone. Using the rollback feature in win10 is absolutely useless. Nothing works once you go back and its just BSOD central. Now to jump through the hoops. Install 7, upgrade to 8 install 10 million updates then install 8.1.

Fun times.

Hopefully someone will extract DX12 at some point in the future when it actually becomes necessary.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I will probably ride out Windows 7 on most machines that I need to take seriously, and leave 8.1 on others that aren't as necessary, but I'm not nearly as excited about this update as I once was. I may try it out on one machine, but I don't see the point until it gets a more thorough run over the next few months.

Even Microsoft's constant "updates" sketch me out half the time. They give me a feeling of retroactive security fixes or weird privacy intrusions masked in what they deem as necessary tools.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Never this shady, not with an OS upgrade like this. Shady shit in individual software is one thing, but at the OS level? Hell no.
Don't worry, I'm sure you can roll back your Zune.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone. Using the rollback feature in win10 is absolutely useless. Nothing works once you go back and its just BSOD central. Now to jump through the hoops. Install 7, upgrade to 8 install 10 million updates then install 8.1.

Fun times.

Hopefully someone will extract DX12 at some point in the future when it actually becomes necessary.
People on other forums I post on seem to be having success with rollback generally. YMMV obviously, but if you hate Windows 10 that much it's worth trying. Just do a proper backup.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
So, win 10 is actually malware. Good to know.

Seriously, who do they think they are that they think they have a right to everything you type, click on, watch, listen to and say? The arrogance is staggering.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I've got it running here on my spare workstation. VCenter works, thank goodness. MMC snap-ins to AD stuff and other server stuff doesn't work for shit, but I mostly just RDP in from my Mac nowadays anyway. Start menu (as I already knew from the beta) is just a miniature version of the shitty Win8 screen, so I'll still be dropping the $5 on Start10. Otherwise, it's fine I guess. We're were just talking today; what was the last OS update from anyone (Linux, MS, Apple, whatever) that we were actually excited about anyway? For me, probably SL on OS X, and Win7 on MS. Ubuntu has been fine for so long, each LTS version is indiscernible for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Seriously, who do they think they are that they think they have a right to everything you type, click on, watch, listen to and say? The arrogance is staggering.
Most employers I've worked for already do that. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Most employers I've worked for already do that. :shrug:
Really?

That sucks. Lots. But it's mildly less egregious because they're paying you for your time and you're using their computer.

Not yours, on your time, in your private life.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm not really digging the new menu. Going to get Start10, so it looks normal again. The tiled shit is stupid; there's no sense taking up that much space, when text works fine. Maybe for a tablet it's handy. Adam, do you know if you can just convert the tiles to text links? Also, can the "all apps" menu be sorted differently, other than just alphabetical?

Additionally, the Settings having some stuff, and then the legacy control panel other stuff is just plain retarded. Did any UI experts look at this shit before they shipped it? :rofl:

It's fine, works fine, I guess. But in typical fashion, some of their design choices are just plain stupid.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts