Metal Guitarist Forums banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I'm not really digging the new menu. Going to get Start10, so it looks normal again. The tiled shit is stupid; there's no sense taking up that much space, when text works fine. Maybe for a tablet it's handy. Adam, do you know if you can just convert the tiles to text links? Also, can the "all apps" menu be sorted differently, other than just alphabetical?

Additionally, the Settings having some stuff, and then the legacy control panel other stuff is just plain retarded. Did any UI experts look at this shit before they shipped it? :rofl:

It's fine, works fine, I guess. But in typical fashion, some of their design choices are just plain stupid.
No clue, I prefer the tiles for my regularly accessed programs.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The control panel/settings is the same as it was with 8 and 8.1, some settings are only on one.
I know, but it's stupid. Why bother? It's the same with the network settings; two menus, one less featured than the other. I was trying to RDP into my DVR computer, and couldn't connect. I then realized that for whatever reason, the Win10 upgrade changed my network settings from Private to Public, therefore blocking everything. It took me a while to find the setting to change that, which turns out to not be in either of those menus; it's under the fucking HomeGroup menu. WTF?

I'm not going to say Win10 is shit, or that it's unstable, but it sure as hell is nonsensical in many ways. I just don't see the benefit of it over Win7.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I am digging windows 10, actually saw a minor performance bump in Reaper. Only issue I have had is my Acronis cloning software is having issues with it, I haven't been able to do my usual clone backups yet, I'm going to try Crucial's EZ Gig next.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted

:lol:
I know......"this just in! Mac fanboy doesn't like newest Windows version!!"

Still, I have to deal with this shit on a daily basis, especially since they canned the desktop support guy, and now I have to split desktop support duties, after having been completely server-side for awhile.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
So I have this update available now, and against my better judgement I'm probably going to install it. Is it just one of those "updates" and I restart and my computer is how it always is, just with the new 10 bells, whistles, and spyware? Or is it one of those complete refreshes and I'll have to install a bunch of shit afterward?

Someone talk me off the ledge...

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I know, but it's stupid. Why bother? It's the same with the network settings; two menus, one less featured than the other. I was trying to RDP into my DVR computer, and couldn't connect. I then realized that for whatever reason, the Win10 upgrade changed my network settings from Private to Public, therefore blocking everything. It took me a while to find the setting to change that, which turns out to not be in either of those menus; it's under the fucking HomeGroup menu. WTF?

I'm not going to say Win10 is shit, or that it's unstable, but it sure as hell is nonsensical in many ways. I just don't see the benefit of it over Win7.
I leave the network connections and control panel window open all the time because of this.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Someone talk me off the ledge...
It's 7 that looks like 8, spies on you and has an annoying 'assistant' so you don't have to type searches.

Hopefully you're now away from the ledge.

Find update KB3035583 and uninstall it.

That will remove the ledge.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Just installed it . No real issues apart from my DVD drive being an asshole with the iso.
Seems pretty speedy.

God mode comes In handy it makes finding stuff easier for me

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Windows 10 has been downloaded, but I don't have any inclination to install it right now. Does anyone know how to uninstall the downloaded content? I didn't knowingly download it in the first place. I'd like that creepy 3 gigs back.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Ironically, Windows 10 seems to run uTorrent (for downloading legal material :squint:) better than any other version of Windows that I've had.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
find a guide to turn off all the garbage you dont need / want, and its fine, nice even.
I will second this. Once you disable updates and p2p sharing of them and delete cortana. Yes delete not disable and install a real start menu (when you delete cortana it deletes the start menu) its probably the most efficient OS i've used after variations of linux.

Super fast now that all the fluff is gone and my avg FPS in games has gone up by 10-15 whereas before deleting all the crap i actually took a 15-30 fps hit.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts