Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Windows to Apple. Need some advice

736 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Oogadee Boogadee 
#1 ·
I don't have the time to trial-and-error software, so I am hoping you can help me.

I need to be able to make click tracks to midi guitar files such as powertab.

Here's what I used to do for Division, using windows.

Tab a song with powertab, complete with mid-song tempo changes, song-combo/medleys, etc.

Export to midi

Import Midi to Sonar/Cakewalk

Create separate staff for clicks, cues, etc.

Record the WMA

Export the WMA

Convert to MP3

Upload to ipod

Take it to rehearsal and drop sticks.

My computer is dead at the moment, and my wife uses the laptop for work.

I have at my disposal an ipad and two ipad minis.

What app/apps would allow me to tab songs; then map out, record, and export click-track sound files?

An easier option for me may be to simply play and record the riffs to a click (in an app), then create a click track for the performance. Mute the riff track and record the click track and export that single file. Now that I think about it that would me much easier than tabbing these songs.

I've seen some youtubes on jam-ups and what not. Its not clear to me if those amp apps are being played in one ipad, while a second ipad is running garageband and recording the performance - or if it's one ipad doing it all.... which sounds system-taxing and risky.

See less See more
#2 ·
My head hurt looking at that work flow. :/

If you're stuck with iPad why not use guitar pro to tab and create the click/midi track and use the software itself to just play and audible click?

Other option is just using something like garage band or multitrack DAW.

#3 ·
i need the click for drumming. I want them for rehearsals, studio, shows. So mid-song tempo changes, song combos where in our setlist song1 goes right into song2, etc. The clicks won't be a practice tool for drills, but a functioning part of a live show that only i'll hear in inears. I export all clicks to a device, create a playlist (the live setlist), hit play and don't hit stop until a set-break or the show's over. by show time, it needs to be a two-button operation, so to speak.

#4 ·
Auria is a pretty in depth DAW for iPad that gives that kinda functionality which includes tempo mapping if I remember correctly. There's a cheaper version of the app that's like $25 which should do exactly what you're after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.