Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep justify trying to get rid of this record, but I can't. It's just too exciting, I feel like more people need to know about it. Every song is super dynamic, just when you think it can't get more horrible, it does. You are just rooting for the band the whole time, like, "Please just stick with the Foreigner AOR thing, please don't jump to another really bad cliche.........oh no, I spoke too soon."

You know this is going to be an inspiring story when he lets out a tortured yelp and sets the stage with, "I was walking down the road with a guitar in my hand, I look to see all you people waiting just to hear our band." It's never addressed exactly where the band came from, or where the people came from, since literally in the last sentence he was walking down the road with a guitar in his hand. But before you can figure out how that makes sense, he tries to epicly hold the note at 1:12ish it no longer matters.

After a cliched intro that has nothing to do with the rest of the song it hits the only two minute stretch of the record where it kind of rules. It's that gloriously bad. It doesn't even matter that in spite of the fact this is a band that natively speaks english, the lyrics are a bizarre hodgepodge that sound like they were written by a primitive computer AI trained on glam metal machine learning procedural generation with gems like, "You've got your lips on straight/you've got your cheeks on high/you don't make a mistake/you know everything is going to be alright/you're going hot downtown....'

Unfortunately by "going hot downtown" Snakebyte meant that they are going to ruin all of the potential they had built up with the gloriously bad Foreigner AOR pumping bassline and shit by inserting a chorus that has a bizarre middle eastern vibe with obligatory "exotic ethnic" vocal vibrato, instead of a chord progression that would have made sense.

This next one is conceptually a pretty advanced piece with a number of out of left field plot twists. Kind of a slow burning epic too. It gets unexpectedly frantic. Snakebyte describes a classic mid 80s sunset strip situation..........and then someone gets a knife in the back. Snakebyte describes another situation, that also ends with a knife in the back. Just when you think that Snakebyte has finally run out of situations that end up with a knife in the back, Snakebyte craftily throw you for a loop by describing a situation that can't possibly end with a knife in the back that ends with.....wait for it......wait for it......a knife in the back. Somehow they make it through all four minutes of the song without running out of knives or backs.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't make out all the lyrics, since he's not a great ennuciator, but I'm pretty sure there is a part in "Over and over" around the part where he assures the listener that they are going to "rock through October" where he says something like, "we're gonna rock til we're sober".

Honestly, I think that's a shame that idea never caught on. Alcoholism is a terrible disease. I feel like AA and the 12 step method and all that are way less effective than dealing with your alcoholism by having Snakebyte show up and threaten to "rock" until everyone is sober.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snakebyte's lyric about "we're gonna rock til we're sober" is pretty damn thought provoking, I mean, you hear a powerful lyric like that and think, "Maybe prohibition wasn't such a bad idea?".

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We wanna rawk you..oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyy.... baybay over and over again

That may just be by far the biggest pile of shit these ears have ever heard?!!

How did you find this epic pc of rawk history?
Underground eastern obscure music/bootleg scene. :lol:

Like, way way back (for me), before youtube made it relatively easy to gather a bunch of obscure knowledge in 5 minutes, I was trying to get the demo versions for Black Sabbath's "Born Again", which, as all mega Black Sabbath fans know, are superior to the album versions. Youtube kind of killed the bootleg trading scene, although it's kind of coming back from discogs, certain bands have huge scenes for that kind of stuff. Hawkwind always had a huge scene. Black Sabbath has a bunch of ultra rare stuff floating around. Grateful Dead is obviously the main one everyone knows about, though I'm not a Grateful Dead dude.

Anyways, long story. I still check in with those guys occasionally. Crazy dudes, they don't give a fuck about genre. If it's some fucking crazy bootleg, or a weird japanese version of something, or a pressing that has been out of print forever, or a record they can't even find proof ever existed, they fucking want it.

For reference, the last thing I sent him was a CD of "Chet Atkins Covers..." in which Chet Atkins covered the Chariots of Fire theme. Which is exactly as fucking weird and obscure as it sounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts