Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I was pissed off at my unnecssary guitar parts and sold some necks and bodies, and the "unsellable" stuff I went out and throwed out in the forest. That was during winter and now it's springtime, so I was curious how they looked now.

I loved this one :lol:

I'm not really a fan of intentional relicing because they don't have any story behind them.
However here's a guitar that ended up like this as a result of depression and me throwing stuff away in complete dissapointment of myself and everything I do. I also throw away old photos, magazines, movies and shit that I don't really need. It was around this point I also deleted everything on my YT channel, as well as my entire Facebook band page history, every status update and photos since 2011, I think.

ANYWAY I'm OK now and finding this body like this was actually quite fun.

I had said to myself "no guitar projects this year" because I need to save money. But now I have a really fucking dirty look guitar body, and I have an excessive amount of Evertunes and need to use them at some point :lol:

So I might wanna get myself a Warmoth neck for this one.

The body is very swollen up, so I will have it drying in the sun as much as I can before I decide if I'm getting a neck for this one.

THE REASON I threw this away was because I accidently routed the Evertune hole a bit rotated... But I thought fuck that, I have a real Evertune routing template now, and I could probably either fill up the hole and start over, or just make sure to rout it a little more correctly, because the faceplace of the Evertune bridge will cover up any crooked shit anyway.

I will also re-rout the front hole for the output jack, because that just looks way too fucking nasty :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
First off, glad you're feeling better man - hang in there and if you ever get depressed, remember that your bros here at MG are here for you. :wub:

Secondly, this is a cool idea and will probably look sweet when it's done. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Great minds think alike dude.

The key to the "throw it in the snow and leave it there" mod is making sure it's really fucking cold, because humidity and dampness are bad for guitars. If it's constantly below freezing though, it's fine. Necks are the sensitive part of guitars.

Just throw an eyebolt in one of the strap button positions and hang it somewhere and forget about it for two weeks.

You may or may not end up wanting to sand off the finish, I would let it dry out a little first before deciding what to do if it's still damp or whatever.

Is that a Warmoth body with their standard pocket? You have to carefully file out the sides of the pocket, but you can get those to accept Charvel necks, that's what I did with mine.

Warmoth neck is usually prefferable, but you can usually get older Charvel necks way cheaper. Here in the states you can get a Model 4 neck for like, $80. Talking primarily about the late 80s/early 90s Charvels, but you can get the newer revived ones to fit too, although older is always cooler.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had absolutely no intention of ever picking this one up again, so I didn't care about humidity and stuff :lol:

The body definitely has a odd fucking swollen shape right now.

Taking off the finish however would kind of defeat the appeal of it, and finishing it again would just make for a reasonable nice finish, on a warped body :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I had absolutely no intention of ever picking this one up again, so I didn't care about humidity and stuff :lol:

The body definitely has a odd fucking swollen shape right now.

Taking off the finish however would kind of defeat the appeal of it, and finishing it again would just make for a reasonable nice finish, on a warped body :lol:
Dry it out with a clothes iron, you don't seem like the kind of person who was the patience for kiln drying. :lol: Just don't set it on fire, I'm not responsible if you set it on fire.

Probably put cloth over the guitar first to avoid scorching the finish. Like a thick cotton sweater or something. But yeah, Just put a shirt on top of the guitar and iron it, flip it over, do the same shit.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
You can also use furniture burn in sticks for smoothing out the cracks or filling small holes or whatever. Look it up if you don't know what they are, I wouldn't use them on an expensive guitar, but a beater project, sure. Anyone serious woodworking supply should have them, you spread them with a heated electric knife.

Look up "Mohawk Finishing" they are one of the big makers of furniture burn in sticks. You could either try to find a color that matches, or use a contrasting one and get a cool, nasty look.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dry it out with a clothes iron, you don't seem like the kind of person who was the patience for kiln drying. :lol: Just don't set it on fire, I'm not responsible if you set it on fire.

Probably put cloth over the guitar first to avoid scorching the finish. Like a thick cotton sweater or something. But yeah, Just put a shirt on top of the guitar and iron it, flip it over, do the same shit.
Not even sure we have a clothes iron in our home :ugh: but it may be just that my girlfriend keeps it in a safe distance from my shenanigans in case I got some ideas with it :lol:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Put it together and sell it on eBay as a "Nordic Death Metal Relic" for $3000. :lol:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
It's all about the story dude. Run a listing something like:

Former HellHammer guitar found in haunted Nordic ice cave!
Own this piece of metal history! After leaving the mythical metal legends, Hellhammer former guitarist Dei Infernali went into the wilderness to prove his intestinal fortitude against the frost giants of old. Armed only with his vintage stratocaster, legend has it that Dei single handedly slayed 12 frost giants before the 13th wrested the guitar from his hands and disappeared into the icy fog. Current Blazon Stone guitarist/songwriter "SuperGlue" Ced discovered this legendary artifact while mining rare ore to replace the nickel frets on his newest guitar.

Now you can be part of the legend of the first ever death metal relic guitar! Own this piece of history NOW before the thread gets deleted!!

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
It's all about the story dude. Run a listing something like:

Former HellHammer guitar found in haunted Nordic ice cave!
Own this piece of metal history! After leaving the mythical metal legends, Hellhammer former guitarist Dei Infernali went into the wilderness to prove his intestinal fortitude against the frost giants of old. Armed only with his vintage stratocaster, legend has it that Dei single handedly slayed 12 frost giants before the 13th wrested the guitar from his hands and disappeared into the icy fog. Current Blazon Stone guitarist/songwriter "SuperGlue" Ced discovered this legendary artifact while mining rare ore to replace the nickel frets on his newest guitar.

Now you can be part of the legend of the first ever death metal relic guitar! Own this piece of history NOW before the thread gets deleted!!
Say it was Euronymous' guitar.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Say you found Ola’s childhood guitar..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts