Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Wireless multi room speaker options

2K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  1 
#1 ·
Sonos seems to be the main brand that keeps popping up. Are there any good Bluetooth options? I would like to stream from my phone and would like to be able to move them from home and work.

Feedback/opinions? :yesway:

#6 ·
Relatedly, does anyone make a wireless receiver or power amp that would let you use other speakers in a Sonos-like configuration?I still have an old pair of Behringer Truths I'd love to set up discretely in my kitchen or living room, and be able to stream music off my computer while I'm cooking or hanging out, and all jokes about Behringer aside they're probably better sounding that the Sonos speakers I've heard.

#7 ·
Buy a $50 Amazon Fire and connect the Truths through it. The audio on the Fires is more than good enough - I have my living room stereo configured like this, and I just stream from the media server on my NAS.

I also have one of the Bose SoundTouch units. They're nice, but limited - I think Sonos has more connection options. The Bose was free, however (work bonus thing), and does sound good, though I think the bass is a little hyped.

#13 ·
The Airport Express might be right up your alley then.

Mac - AirPort*Express - Apple

Play iTunes music on your speakers. Wirelessly.

AirPlay takes the music from the iTunes library on your computer, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and sends it wirelessly to any stereo or speakers in your home. Simply connect your speakers to AirPort Express using an audio cable (sold separately). Then, using iTunes on your computer or the Music app on your iOS device, choose which speakers you want your music to play on. If you have more than one AirPort Express connected to speakers, you can play the same music from iTunes on your Mac or PC on all your speakers at the same time. Already have a Wi‑Fi network in place? Use AirPort Express to add music streaming to its capabilities and create a whole‑house musical experience.

#14 ·
Does it ONLY play off iTunes? That's actually not bad, though it might be nice to have the option of listening to a mix I was working on from another set of speakers without having to bounce it down first. It'd save me the trouble of having like Zwift road noise playing in my kitchen while I was on the trainer though. :lol:

EDIT - and that would replace (and upgrade) my existing wireless router, huh?

#23 ·
I'm still not 100% sure btw, and since it's now in the realm of Shit I Don't Care About since I don't need a range extender, I'll leave it to you. :lol:

Since they're only $100 you can probably do something slicker than a big goofy looking set of studio monitors in your living room too btw. Ceiling mount speakers, maybe an under-cabinet sound bar in the kitchen, etc. It'd depend on power but if you're going to get clever, it might only be a couple hundred bucks more to do something that has some snazz appeal.

#24 ·
:lol: That's fair.

And yeah, that's why I'm holding off for now - if I need two $99 units to do that, then I'm getting into the area where maybe it makes sense to explore a few other options. End of the day, Sonos speakers aren't THAT bad, and either two or four of those things might make a good solution, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.