Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, you may recall that wiring arrangement I came up with a while ago...

Well, after mulling it over further, I've refined the idea a little, and was wondering if this would actually be possible to do...

HSH arrangement, with one push/pull tone and one push/pull volume, plus one mini-toggle and a five-way switch.

Five-way with both push/pull pots down: Ibanez style switching for the two buckers...

1) Neck humbucker.
2) Outer coil of neck humbucker.
3) Both humbuckers.
4) Inner coils of both humbuckers.
5) Bridge humbucker.

When the volume pot is pulled up, it goes into split coil mode, effectively converting the guitar into an SSH arrangement...

1) Outer coil of neck humbucker.
2) Outer coil of neck, plus middle singlecoil.
3) Middle singlecoil.
4) Bridge humbucker plus middle singlecoil.
5) Bridge humbucker.

The tone control acts as a coil tap for the bridge humbucker, that splits it regardless of what is selected on the other two controls (mainly for getting Eric Johnson-style lead tones by selecting the bridge single coil and rolling the tone off a little).

The mini-toggle is a 'blower switch' that bypasses all of the above, and routs the bridge humbucker straight to the output jack.

Would this actually be possible to wire up, or am I being over-ambitious?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
21 Posts
First of all, if I may ask, are you really sure you want to wire your guitar like this? You would have like 10+ options to chose from, that's not always a good thing... I always got lost in the switching when I had such wirings in my instruments. More switching, less playing. Do you already have a guitar that has this much possibilities?

Anyway, I'm trying to help you with your question.

So let's see what you want to do with the volume push-pull pot...

1) Neck humbucker. -> Outer coil of neck humbucker.
Possible. The neck hb's tapping wire switches to ground.

2) Outer coil of neck humbucker. -> Outer coil of neck, plus middle singlecoil.
Possible, but you need another switching layer on your 5way switch. Connect the SC's "hot" to the positions where you ant to add the SC. When pulling the pot, solder two wires to the pot so you make a connection of the new layer's output to the usual output of the 5way switch. The SC's "hot wire" now switches to volume pot "in" (aka 5way switch "out"), adding the SC.

3) Both humbuckers. -> Middle singlecoil.
Not sure about that one. I think you would need more that just a simple push-pull-pot to realize this, because you already want to split the neck hb and add the singlecoil. So you wouldn't have any connections left on that pp pot. If you do the wiring as I said in 1) and 2), this would be "neck humbucker outer coil plus bridge humbucker (optional: plus middle singlecoil, if you wire the SC to position 3 on the new layer of the 5way)"

4) Inner coils of both humbuckers. -> Bridge humbucker plus middle singlecoil.
Same as 3), you would need more than a pp pot to do this.

5) Bridge humbucker. -> Bridge humbucker.
Well, I think that's absolutely impossible ;)

Tone Control pp pot to split the bridge HB: This is possible, sure. The tapping wire of the bridge hb switches to ground.

Blower switch mini toggle: Possible. You would have to switch the bridge hb "hot" wire to the output jack AND have to disconnect the bridge hb's tapping wire to any ground connections (5way, split via pp pot). If you don't do the last, you might have a splitted humbucker in some switching states.

I hope it is correct the way I described it. It's always a bit hard to think about such complex wirings. So, you see it's not a matter of some wires put together, you just can't have some things while having some other features wired.

I did those wirings before and believe me, "less is more". My advice: Think about the 3 or 5 Pickup configurations you really want to have and go for them.

Hope this helps! :)

Cheers!
Felix

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
its viable definitely, but youll need a megaswitch or a vlx91. Youd essentially have to wire up 2 pole sets for the push pull down, and another to up, and use the push pull to switch between the "sets" of switching on the 5 way

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify, I had the megaswitch in mind when I was thinking of this stuff.:)

..And yeah, I would definitely like this many options!

Cheers guys!

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill see if i can figure it out.

Ill be straight up, you might need two blades :lol:
Cheers dude! Tried to send some rep your way, but it says I need to spread it around.

If it turns out not to be feasible I'm sure I can come up with something more practical. Unfortuntately I don't have any HSH guitars to try this on, so this is all speculation for my imaginary custom guitar...

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Is this feasible? Use a Megaswitch E and wire it two the two humbuckers. So you get neck humbucker, neck split, neck and bridge split, bridge split and bridge humbucker. The wire the middle single coil to an off/on switch or a volume knob to bring that in. Wire up a bridge humbucker always on and a blower switch. I have now given you 11ty billion tones if it can be done. :lol:

If this is doable it'll be very very Steve Morse.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Giving the middle PU it's own on/off switch was actually my original idea.:)

I was actually just investigating the wiring on the Ibanez E-gen, and reckon that actually looks like a nice arrangement, although I'd still like to add the blower switch...

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

With all this talk of PU options, I just have to post this... Check about 3.50 in when he demonstrates how he gets clean and distorted tones out of one guitar and one channel just using his guitars controls.:eek:

After further investigation, I'm wondering if it might actually be better to go with...

HSH arrangement, push-pull volume, push-pull tone, two three way switches (one in the regular place, one where a third tone or volume knob would be, like on Steve's original Music Man guitar) and blower switch.

First three-way controls the humbuckers: neck, both, bridge. Nice and straight-forward.

Push-pull volume splits the neck.

Push-pull tone splits the bridge.

Second three-way controls the middle single: off, added to first three-way, on its own (again, like the old Steve Morse model).

Blower switch acts same as before.

I reckon that would give me all the options I like most without much switching, or over-complicated wiring arrangements, and leave a few wierder combinations in reserve.:)

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm...it's an interesting concept. My SSH headless guitar actually has a similar thing, with an on-off switch for each single, and an on-split-off switch for the humbucker, and it's an awesomely versatile system, but not really that easy to use on the fly.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just occurred to me... I could execute the last arrangement I suggested with a five-way...

1) Neck.
2) Neck split.
3) Both humbuckers.
4) Both humbuckers split.
5) Bridge.

Push-pull volume to split bridge. One tone. Blower switch. Three-way to control middle single-coil.

Thoughts?

Damn I've been thinking too hard about this.:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts