Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've got a set of 4 conductor seymour duncan passives coming in the mail, and I want to do some CRAZY wiring shit to them, but really have no idea where to start.

The guitar will have 1 volume, killswitch, and a 3-way blade style selector. My "plan" was to have a push/pull pot and 3-way selector, and using the pull portion to coil tap both pickups at once. Kind of like this

Vol = In:

Down = Bridge Hum
Mid = Neck + Bridge
Up = Neck Hum

Vol = Out:

Down = Bridge Single (inner coil)
Mid = Neck + Bridge (inner coils)
Up = Neck (inner coil)

Looking at it now, it actually doesn't look THAT complicated, but I'm not 100% on how wiring a push/pull pot actually works Any help in this are would be GREATLY appreciated, as well as general links to any sites with info/diagrams for coil tapping pickups.

Thanks!

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

That's easy shit. It's the same as a standard tele wiring, just with a split on each pickup. I think Duncan has that on their site

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_1pp

Just wire the tele switch instead of the toggle in the manner seen here

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/tele_2hum.pdf.

In fact, that one is identical, except the middle lines are taped off instead of wired up to the push pull for splitting

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The Duncan schematics aren't entirely clear whether it's just splitting the coils or splitting specifically to the middle coils. (It looks like the neck pickup may be reversed, based on where the output wire comes out of the pickup.)

If your neck pickup isn't reversed (which was the case with the BKPs), try this instead:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

Mehtab said:
I like how Darren's, "quick drawings" are usually clearer than manufacturers :lol:
I fucking know right? :lol: Sd likes to fake this handdrawn looking shit that just looks sloppy, and Dimarzios are TOO Hardlines and poorly laid out, much like ibanezz

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice. I wasn't expecting to have a diagram dropped in my lap, but there it is. Definitely gonna put that to good use. Could it be coincidence that it was Darren that convinced me to buy the pickups that I'm using this diagram for in the first place?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

Yeah, the dincan ones are splitting to (not sure which) either the coil closer to the neck, or closer to the bridge, on both pickups (one inside and one outside coil), instead of both insid or both outside, goo eye d.

Question, what do you do your diagrams in? Illustrator? Omnigraffler? Vizio running In a virtualbox?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Only Chris cares about this ->: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Illustrator FTW. :)

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I really gotta learn illustrator better. I can trace lineart, but thats about it.

Outside of taking actual courses at school, do you have any suggestions for what material to read or which instructional sites are worth a shit or anything to that effect, if i want to actually learn to use it, rather than just fuck around in it like some highschool hack sitting in his parents garage claiming to be an expert?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I really gotta learn illustrator better. I can trace lineart, but thats about it.

Outside of taking actual courses at school, do you have any suggestions for what material to read or which instructional sites are worth a shit or anything to that effect, if i want to actually learn to use it, rather than just fuck around in it like some highschool hack sitting in his parents garage claiming to be an expert?
No idea, really. I've been using it for 20 years, and there's STILL stuff i'm learning about.

I sent an email to Tim at BKP, and his response was that unless the neck pickup has its magnet reversed, you can't get a hum-cancelling middle option with both pickups split to the inner coils. You'd need the slug coil from one pickup plus the screw coil from the other to get a hum-cancelling option.

My guess is that the Ibanez and Music Man guitars that have this option come with the neck pickup (or at least the magnet) reversed.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

darren said:

No idea, really. I've been using it for 20 years, and there's STILL stuff i'm learning about.

I sent an email to Tim at BKP, and his response was that unless the neck pickup has its magnet reversed, you can't get a hum-cancelling middle option with both pickups split to the inner coils. You'd need the slug coil from one pickup plus the screw coil from the other to get a hum-cancelling option.

My guess is that the Ibanez and Music Man guitars that have this option come with the neck pickup reversed.
Most likely. Dimarzio specifies reversing the pickup in the neck position, actually, for exactly this reason.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I may have to start ordering my pickups with reversed magnets in the neck and wiring them up in reverse.

It doesn't matter with symmetrical pickups that use screws for the poles on both coils, because you can just rotate the whole pickup and wire it in reverse like i just did on the Aftermaths. But on more traditional screw-and-slug pickups, i'd rather have it look "correct" with the screw coils on the outside and the slugs on the inside with the option for inner- and outer-coil hum cancelling options.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
So just as an addendum, the wiring diagram i provided will actually give you the slug coil of the bridge pickup and the screw coil of the neck pickup, which should be a hum-cancelling combination.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So just as an addendum, the wiring diagram i provided will actually give you the slug coil of the bridge pickup and the screw coil of the neck pickup, which should be a hum-cancelling combination.
I wanted to ask you about that. Can i get that diagram in a retardedly high resolution? I can't read anything on there :lol:

As well, my blade switch is backwards compared to the one in the diagram and i have NO idea which way to attach the leads to my switch because of this.

Halp?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.