Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up one of these bad boys. I got the civilian issue and am going to try it out. If it isnt packing the same heat as the big boy i'm going to send it back and grab the big boy. The civy is supposed to be 32 of the best sounds from the big boy(it has 252 different wave tables and litterally thousands of possible settings, its actually overwelming and i'm really just looking for a little flavor and didnt want to delve THAT deply)
I'v been craving an industrial NIN type sound lately and i have basically no effects at all other than a DD-3.

These things sound fucking CRAZY and cover an amazing amount of ground. This pedal is really doing something different instead of rehashing a different effect or copying a existing pedal.

"The WMD Geiger Counter is hundreds of entirely new face melting sounds. A high gain modern preamp drives an 8 bit computer, creating sounds which range from nice (tubey overdrive, lofi aliasing, hot gated leads) to total madness (impossible amounts of gain, multiple octave foldover, harsh digital data errors, and piercing sculpted noise). This is NOT a modeling pedal, it turns the fundamentals of digital into a source of extreme distortion. "

Oh yea, it looks fucking badass too:lol: I'm totally going to run around the house with it and act like its a real geiger counter for a while after it comes in.

I'm gonna check out some devi ever effects next.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
It's cool and all but, what exactly do you plan to do with it? All I could tell that was cool was the ring modulator. Everything else sounded like the cable was half unplugged :2cents: No offense though. I fucking love pedals :yesway:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get you man. That's not terrible. NIN is pretty cool sometimes.
I'v been a crazy crazy nin fan since 93/94. I'v never really tryed to do much in the industrial genera, but i recently got absynth4,reaktor, and some other badass programs and a midi controller. So naturally, now i'm looking to nail down the -this guitar is about to explode- type tone.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also check out devi ever : fx as Trent/NIN have been using their pedals a lot from Year Zero onwards. Some really cool sounding, and crazy stuff.
Read the last sentance in my original post:D But thanks for the tip. I noticed it said robin finik used the bit.
I hadnt heard of them till i started doing homework on the geiger counter and am dying to grab a devi or 2.

I'm really eyeballin the destructo octavia, the never drive, and the bit

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:wallbash: Gotcha :lol: The joysicked "Mangler" peddles sound really fun, too.
Those joystick ones really did look cool, but i wasnt sure if it was doing something different or just kind of a gimmicky control that was pretty much the same as the others.

I see she does custom jobbys too. I was thinking about maybe seeing if i could get her to make me a never drive and destructo octavia in the same casing.

I love the artwork on them. I know it doesnt really matter, but if its visually appealing, it gets me interested(and then if it kicks ass too then i buy!).
Thats what happened with the geiger counter. I just thought it looked awesome, and upon inspeciton, it was EXCATLY what i was looking for. go figure :lol:

·
18,790 Posts
Those joystick ones really did look cool, but i wasnt sure if it was doing something different or just kind of a gimmicky control that was pretty much the same as the others.
It's the same controls as the individual pedals, as far as I can tell, but you're blending the two effects and controlling a couple of parameters at the same time. If you set-it-and-forget-it, yeah, you might as well skip the joystick, but if you're someone who'll grab it and tweak it while playing, it can do some really fun stuff.

I see she does custom jobbys too. I was thinking about maybe seeing if i could get her to make me a never drive and destructo octavia in the same casing.
I'll bet she would, but I'm not sure.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's the same controls as the individual pedals, as far as I can tell, but you're blending the two effects and controlling a couple of parameters at the same time. If you set-it-and-forget-it, yeah, you might as well skip the joystick, but if you're someone who'll grab it and tweak it while playing, it can do some really fun stuff.
Ah, ok. Some of the guys on a random forum i was looking at were saying that they could couple 2 certian models together and it would be the same(without the stick) as one of her discontiuned models that held both of the models and had the stick. Makes sense now.
I guess you get even more whacked out sounds when you couple them. The whacked out sound will probably be the sound of my amp crying for mercy :lol:
Thanks for the info.

(Damn thing wont let me rep you:lol: bastard forum is bastard)fucking drew

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The other possibility I've found for a sound like that is the Source Audio Multiwave Distortion. The Pro model is pretty fucking fantastic, with graphic EQ and the ability to blend from one sound to another using an expression pedal. Crazy synthy crunchy fuzzy sounds.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The other possibility I've found for a sound like that is the Source Audio Multiwave Distortion. The Pro model is pretty fucking fantastic, with graphic EQ and the ability to blend from one sound to another using an expression pedal. Crazy synthy crunchy fuzzy sounds.
I was researching that one too, but there isnt much out there on it. I know our own Variant has one, and i sent him a message asking a couple questions on it last week, but he hasnt been on since.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I was researching that one too, but there isnt much out there on it. I know our own Variant has one, and i sent him a message asking a couple questions on it last week, but he hasnt been on since.
I had one, and Darren now owns it. Some great crazy organ-synth sounds, more traditional drive sounds, and some insane octave fuzz stuff too. He's the crazy effects guy, so ask him about it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I had one, and Darren now owns it. Some great crazy organ-synth sounds, more traditional drive sounds, and some insane octave fuzz stuff too. He's the crazy effects guy, so ask him about it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

1 - 20 of 26 Posts