Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have a Marshall 1960A with G12s in it. It's a solid-sounding cab, and it is sturdy. I like the projection of a 412, but I was thinking of stepping back down to a 212 for size purposes.

The Vader 212 has me intrigued, and they are indeed geared towards teh br00talz :lol:. With that in mind, I assume their 212 is probably a good contender against most others' 412s. I fear the loss of power and/or projection, but I also know I have to accept the fact that there will be a disparity.

Has anyone used/tried out the Vader 212? I've had a Mesa 212 vert that sounded solid, but it wasn't nearly as big-sounding once I got the Marshall.

Any help would be great! :wavey:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
You can get around the projection problem by either angling a 2x12 upward or placing it on something like a a cabinet case etc.

As for power, I'd think a 2x12 would be more than loud enough, unless you're going against another 4x12 full blast in rehearsal (i.e., without miking them). Given that a 2x12 will probably sound more focused in the mids, it might even cut through better than a 4x12.

As for sounding "big", well that might be a problem. I would think having a 2x12 in an oversized cabinet would help.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
I've had a Mesa 212 vert that sounded solid, but it wasn't nearly as big-sounding once I got the Marshall.

Any help would be great! :wavey:
That's why you need a 2x12 Recto horizontal cab with Eminence Swamp Thangs installed! Each cab is 8 ohms @ 300w! They sound huge!

And guess who has 2 of these cabs for sale. ;)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< HINT

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
^ i have a 4x12 with swamp thangs, they are brutal power houses, but i think they would benifit greatly from a different, more mid range speaker mixed in like a red coat series eminence or v30 or c90 or something

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
^ i have a 4x12 with swamp thangs, they are brutal power houses, but i think they would benifit greatly from a different, more mid range speaker mixed in like a red coat series eminence or v30 or c90 or something
Well, it depends on what type of sound the player is going for. They have that "4x12 chunk in a 2x12 cab" punch to them. Make no mistake, these are great on their own, but they also play well with others. :cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to do a 212 perhaps, but I just found a STEAMING deal on an Orange 412 - one cab that I have been DYING to get my hands on. Plus, it is local...

Certainly not going help with 'downsizing,' but I don't get a chance like that often :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decided to keep the 212 idea going, and have now settled on getting an Orange ppc212. Fingers crossed regarding the deal I'm working on!

The vaders look awesome, but I have already played (and loved) the orange 212. Will take getting used to with the band practice setup, but live shows should not be affected. I will grab an amp stand to jack the cab up and have it faced towards our drummer :yesway:

My back will be greatly appreciative :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
angle that bad boy up 40 degrees and let the sound spread surround you with good tone :yesway:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
:woot:

Congrats!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts