Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Wolfetone Pickups
17 Posts
Twelve thousand dollars. :lol:
First, let me say thank you to whoever shared this here. This is something I've been working on for a long, long time.

Yes, $12,000. I had originally set it for $10,000, but realized that would not leave enough left over for shipping and wages for my assembly guy. Hey, it's expensive to bring a product to market.

That being said, the Little Thunder pickup raised $62,000

the "Guitar Triller" raised $34,000... and it's nothing more than a chopstick with a knobby end to whack the strings with.

So far, it's done better in the 24 hours since it launched than I expected it to. In the most recent email exchange between Doug of the DnP show, Doug said it was a "game changer"
I'm really hoping it does well.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Wolfe - while I think this is cool as hell that you're doing this (and I've heard rumors around here that this has been something you've been trying to get right for ages), I'm most likely not interested in a set of P90s.

That said - for the "pair of regular production Wolfetone pickups" $190 package, could you either do pairs of seven string pickups, or barring that a trio of singlecoils (which look like they'd come out at about the same price range as a pair of 'buckers) with modern polepiece staggering, rather than vintage? I've had a rewound JB 7 you did sitting on my computer desk for long enough to become a running joke around here that I still haven't gotten the chance to pop into my Suhr, but I've also heard really good things about your singlecoils and I'd be curious to hear how they stack up to the Suhr ML Standards I've been using of late.

Thanks, and good luck!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Are these similar to Duncan Phat Cats?
I actually have a pair of Phat Cats, so I should hunker-down and do a comparison.

I think I've got the guitar picked out... thinking about my Warmoth SG. It's solid mahogany (and thicker than a std SG) with a 25.5" neck which is 1/3 maple, rest mahogany.

·
Wolfetone Pickups
17 Posts
I backed for a pair of the covers :yesway:
Thank you!

Wolfe - while I think this is cool as hell that you're doing this (and I've heard rumors around here that this has been something you've been trying to get right for ages), I'm most likely not interested in a set of P90s.

That said - for the "pair of regular production Wolfetone pickups" $190 package, could you either do pairs of seven string pickups, or barring that a trio of singlecoils (which look like they'd come out at about the same price range as a pair of 'buckers) with modern polepiece staggering, rather than vintage? I've had a rewound JB 7 you did sitting on my computer desk for long enough to become a running joke around here that I still haven't gotten the chance to pop into my Suhr, but I've also heard really good things about your singlecoils and I'd be curious to hear how they stack up to the Suhr ML Standards I've been using of late.

Thanks, and good luck!
Welllll... we just got back from the NAMM show, and I'll let you in on a little secret...
Last year at the show, one of my suppliers gave me a pair of 8-string bobbin sets that they'd recently developed. Part of my issue with 7 and 8 string humbuckers was a distinct lack of high quality parts. The bobbins sucked! After getting that pair, I immediately wound them up for a local friend of mine (who I think might be a member here) as they were a hit. I'd waited for the new parts to come in to the USA, but never got any work about them.. apparently, they're now available so it looks like 7 and 8 strings are on a close horizon.

Are these similar to Duncan Phat Cats?
These are completely different than the Phat Cat. Boththe Phat Cat and the Gibson P94 are very different from a normal "real" P90. The Phat Cat uses 43 awg wire with a coil sized to fit under a humbucker-sized cover. The Gibson P94 uses a tall, fat coil like a Telecaster bridge pickup, again sized for a humbucker cover. Some other versions are just one half of a humbucker stuffed in the middle of the cover.
I did not want to compromise of the coil structure AT ALL when I developed this originally in 1998. When you change the coil geometry, you change the character and tone. I developed a new way to mount a 100% real P90 into most humbucker routs, simply by indenting the corners of the lower base-plate and lower bobbin flange if needed. This allows the inward-pointing corners of the routes to clear, and does not affect the coil one bit. We're able to fit at least 11,000 turns for a 9k bridge pickup into most routs. 10,000 turns @8k? no problem.
Right now, the mount is a "static" mount like a dog-eared P90. There is no height adjustment, but I'm considering shims to raise them... and "real "height adjustment will be experimented with soon (it came to me in a dream while at NAMM last week)

Since the patent was applied for back in March of last year, I was finally able to show off the design to various people while at the NAMM show. I can tell you that there were a lot of people who were really impressed with how I pulled it off. Especially some people from Duncan. I only wish we'd had a booth there to display it at... I get the feeling we could have won Best in Show for solving a 50+ year old problem with simplicity and grace.

One more thing... if the Kickstarter goes well enough and it raises enough funding, doing a 7-string bobbin mold and cover for it is not out of the question. I'd be looking at around $25-30,000 in total funds to add that on though, due to the additional tooling cost of the bobbin and cover for them. =/

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Welllll... we just got back from the NAMM show, and I'll let you in on a little secret...
Last year at the show, one of my suppliers gave me a pair of 8-string bobbin sets that they'd recently developed. Part of my issue with 7 and 8 string humbuckers was a distinct lack of high quality parts. The bobbins sucked! After getting that pair, I immediately wound them up for a local friend of mine (who I think might be a member here) as they were a hit. I'd waited for the new parts to come in to the USA, but never got any work about them.. apparently, they're now available so it looks like 7 and 9 strings are on a close horizon.
Wait - not to get offtopic, but - you mean I'll be able to BUY a 7 string PU from you? Fantastic.

Now I have to buy a guitar to put a neck P90 in...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts