Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wolfgang released the video a couple hours ago

"As my pop continued to struggle with various health issues, I was imagining what my life would be like without him and how terribly I'd miss him. While the song is incredibly personal, I think anyone can relate to the idea of having a profound loss in their life. I never intended 'Distance' to be the very first piece of music people would hear from me, but I also thought my father would be here to celebrate its release. This is for him. I love and miss you, Pop - WVH."

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I don't care for it, and it sounds like ground well trodden. However, it is well executed and produced, and the lyrics are definitely from the heart.

Having said that, that poor guy is never going to catch a break. If he does something in a completely different style from his father, then people will bitch that he falls short. If he does stuff like his dad, then people will accuse him of cashing in. Anything other than shredding, and he doesn't have dad's chops. He shreds, and it will be he's all chops and no feel. I can't imagine anything worse as a musician than being the child of a legend and icon who transformed the way people approach music.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I don't care for it, and it sounds like ground well trodden. However, it is well executed and produced, and the lyrics are definitely from the heart.

Having said that, that poor guy is never going to catch a break. If he does something in a completely different style from his father, then people will bitch that he falls short. If he does stuff like his dad, then people will accuse him of cashing in. Anything other than shredding, and he doesn't have dad's chops. He shreds, and it will be he's all chops and no feel. I can't imagine anything worse as a musician than being the child of a legend and icon who transformed the way people approach music.
Dude, the shit he gets on Twitter is mind blowing. It blows me away that people who claim to be hardcore VH fans would go after Ed's own kid like they do, but man, they're fucking brutal on there. Just 3 days ago some fucktard posted this to his feed-

"Still leaching off your father's name I see. You talentless fucking hack. Leave the band and give your spot back to it's rightful owner you lowlife cunt."

Couple weeks ago-

"Hey dog, or whatever a wolf is, STFU. Your Mom and Dad were the stars. Your just someone who stole Michael Anthony's job. Now, stay silent, and be a good boy. No one cares what YOU have to say about anything. Unless it's cake, tell me what cake you love. STFU"

And-

"@WolfVanHalen your an idiot. Saying a reunion is "hurting my family" is crybaby bs. The fans want Van Hagar or Van Dave, not you. STFU douchebag!! You will never have as much talent as even one of Valerie's late ex-husbands guitar picks!"

I tried leaving in all the spelling and grammatical errors, but my iPad autocorrects most of them. Really foul shit, especially after the guy's fuckin' father died. And those are just the one's Wolf's responded to, I'm sure there are plenty more that go unnoticed. He takes them in stride and trolls the shit out of those people, then you generally get a good amount of people backing Wolf up and tearing the assholes apart.

But yeah, he's facing an uphill battle. Hopefully the album stands on it's own two feet enough that people forget his last name and treat the music for what it is.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
And while I may agree that it was a poor decision to probably put Wolfie in that role of Michael Anthony's or their probably could have been a better way of doing it.

I still have a huge amount of respect for Wolfie, he cares about the fans and he doesn't have to. He actually is the only reason we got another VH record as well tour.

But get this, he took it to a whole new level in this video. He convinced his Father (Eddie obviously) to do a whole tour with not only Michael Anthony & DLR but Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone as well.

If that doesn't speak miles, I don't know what does. Thank God for Wolfie or the fans may have not seen a lot of things because he was in his Dad's ear. R.I.P. EVH and God Bless you Wolf.

It brings joy to my heart that we would have finally gotten the closed chapter VH fans always wanted.

And let's be honest, if we all loved our Dad that much and wanted to make music. Which one of us really would have turned down to play in their Dad's band, especially at 16.
Something special about it if you look at it in a different way. Just watch the vid.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
...Twitter...
That's about all you needed to say there. YouTube comments might be the only online place that's shittier. :lol:

Having just lost my own dad, this one hit me.

I agree with Noodles that Wolf will never get the chance to be taken seriously as a musician on his own merits.

That said, he's been playing for a long time but doesn't seem to have had the 'fire in the belly' to strike out on his own, which would have been a lot easier while EVH was still alive. Maybe's too nice a guy for the music biz...

He's got a nice singing voice and could certainly release something credible if his writing is solid.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
He's got a nice singing voice and could certainly release something credible if his writing is solid.
His lyrical voice isn't bad, either. I'd definitely give anything he put out a listen, since it's obvious he was paying attention to everything his dad was doing. Van Halen would never have been huge if they were just that band with the hot shit guitarist. Eddie knew how to write a pop hook like nobody's business.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Man people are fucking ruthless Rev, lots of internet balls/keyboard tough guys.
Generally speaking, people are getting dumber and more violent every single day, and it's not just from behind a keyboard. We are in a dangerous (and getting more dangerous by the minute) period of history.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Generally speaking, people are getting dumber and more violent every single day, and it's not just from behind a keyboard. We are in a dangerous (and getting more dangerous by the minute) period of history.
Yes... there seems that common sense and middle ground is vanishing. So if you don't agree with someone you are either an "enemy". I see this everyday on FB, sometimes it's impossible to have an argument with anyone if we don't agree. Most people don't even try to hear the other part and are also super super lazy looking for information...

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Truth. Keyboard Warrior is only one part of the overall disease unfortunatley.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Finally had a chance to listen to this song tonight.

HOLY FUCK that was deep.

Didnt care that it was a total snooze fest musically, the lyrics had tears down my face. I am not a VH fan, there were some fanatics at FMIC when I worked there but I never bought into the hype. I like a few song here and there but this was something else. This was well written and that voicemail at the end man, fuck, that was a heavy thing to hear. EVH, the biggest rock god on the planet, was also a kickass dad and a total softy for his kid. I am a total softy for my kids too and something about this is just so relatable to me. Like I want to be that present in my kids lives. Its something to look up to even more than his guitar playing.

I am sure that like every family, there were ups and downs. Eddie struggle with addiction for a lot of his life so I am sure that Wolfie's life wasnt all roses but damn this was so cool to see.

Reading some of the comments on Twitter is heart breaking. I am sure Eddie is looking down and roasting every guitar those assholes will ever know.

RIP EVH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.