Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were going to have a custom (neck-thru) guitar built (for metal), and the two constants were going to be a flame maple cap and an ebony fretboard, what wood choices would you make for the body and neck, and why?

• Mahogany/Mahogany?
  • Alder/Maple?
  • Swamp Ash/Maple?
  • Other...?
I am quite fond of the "Gibson formula" (mahogany/mahogany), but I have Jacksons that are alder/maple that sound good too. I'm just not sure how I would choose. Maybe by offering up opinions, someone will point out something I hadn't considered/noticed before.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Maple neck-thru for stability and brightness, then mahogany sides (wings?) to add some more chunk. Not sure how alder or swamp ash would fare as the body sides. Basswood would probably also work.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
If you're going with a full (3/4" thick) maple cap, then a maple neck and mahogany wings. Mahogany necks impart too much thickness, muddying up the low end, and a full maple cap on alder or swamp ash is going to be way too bright.

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mahogany necks impart too much thickness, muddying up the low end,...
Interesting. I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom that I can't get to muddy up the low end no matter how hard I try. :spock:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bolt on maple neck with maho body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts