Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am going to be working with a local luthier to build a new body as a RG7621 replica. I have a new neck on the way from 2018 customs (5 piece maple / wenge neck/ birds eye maple board / jumbo SS frets).

So here are some options i was thinking of and i would like to get your input:

Swamp ash body + Walnut top
Alder body + Walnut top
Alder body + Ebony top
Alder body + ZIricote top
Swamp ash body + Bubinga top

Curious what you guys think, would love some input before i commit.

P.S.

The Luthier is against tungoil finishes because he said it penetrates the wood and will affect tone in the long run, he prefers a stain or a gloss finish; any one heard this before? I always read tung oil was the preferred method to finish guitars.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Either alder or swamp ash is a good choice. Swamp ash usually has more grain pattern to it and looks a little better than alder, but both sound really good. How thick are the tops?

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either alder or swamp ash is a good choice. Swamp ash usually has more grain pattern to it and looks a little better than alder, but both sound really good. How thick are the tops?
I haven't decided on a thickness, i was thinking around 2mm - 4 mm?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
The reason I asked is the thicker the top the more impact it has on the tone. With a thinner top go with whatever looks the best.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Oil finishes are easy to apply, but it is permeable so your sweat and stuff will get into the finish and the wood. I've seen an old oil-finished bass that has turned greenish where the player's arm rests on the top and along the back of the neck. Yuck.

They're not necessarily the "best," just different. Don't drink too much of the Blackmachine kool-aid ;)

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the tone of swamp ash, so i am leaning towards swap ash body + ebony top (kind of like a black machine), if the ebony top is too expensive then maybe a walnut top.

But yea the top wont be too thick, most of the tone would come from the swamp ash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.