Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a recording session last night...or...was supposed to, and literally NOTHING worked. My drummer went up the other day to set up and sound check with the engineer, and supposedly everything worked then. We showed up last night to get things rolling, and we had a plethora of problems. At first the DAW wouldn't record, and then the interfaces had issues, and then after we worked out those (after hours of restarting the computer and updating drivers), we would randomly loose signal from some mics for about a second while recording. It was the most bizarre, troublesome recording session I've ever experienced. Also, this was the only time I'll be able to record these drums until summer (I live in L.A., and I'm visiting Cleveland for Christmas). At least a buddy of mine who came along brought 2, 6 packs of beer :D

For the record, I'm not complaining, and I'm pretty positive we know what was causing the problem (one of the interfaces. He was going to work on getting it replaced). Seriously, all I can say is that I'm glad that he's a good friend of ours, because we knew it was just a technical problem that he had no control over. I just hope he works it out before he gets bigger acts to come in.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
As long as his technical problems didn't cause you to lose any money... as in, I hope you weren't paying for recording time.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As long as his technical problems didn't cause you to lose any money... as in, I hope you weren't paying for recording time.
Nope, just a friend doing a favor for us. The amount of problems was absurd, but I hope he can work it out before he charges other bands to come in. I actually felt bad for him. He put all of this money into this studio, and this is what he wants to do with his life. It sucks big time, but I'm glad this happened to us as opposed to a band that could ruin his reputation.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Stuff like that happens. But if he's going to be charging for studio time, it would behoove him to have some sort of redundancy in that studio. Or at least a "B" system to put into service in case the main DAW goes down.

Technical problems = Huge creative buzzkill for paying clients.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Nope, just a friend doing a favor for us. The amount of problems was absurd, but I hope he can work it out before he charges other bands to come in. I actually felt bad for him. He put all of this money into this studio, and this is what he wants to do with his life. It sucks big time, but I'm glad this happened to us as opposed to a band that could ruin his reputation.
ah so you guys are kind of doing the burn-in tests for him, cool stuff

·
By your command!
180 Posts
As long as it isn't costing you money, you're fine.

On my first actual recording I had just joined a death metal band, had been with them for 2 months , no issues at rehearsal and everything was fine.

They wanted to go into the studio and we all paid a bucketload of money for 3 days of studio time (well it was a few grand, but when you're 18 that hurts).

So we start playing , and after I manage to track one song I just blanked out.
I couldn't remember how to play a single riff. Terrible experience. They were really nice and give me a whole day to get it right, but on the second day we decided to give up. Eventually the other guitarist had to play all the parts.

(funny enough, when we did our second album a few years later, he was the one who couldn't play consistently enough, so I ended up doing all the parts :) ) .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts