Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I discovered these cheap Acrylic teles on Ebay, going for right at $200 new. One thing i've always wanted was an acrylic guitar. I played an old BC Rich a several years ago, while it wasn't the best sounding guitar I've ever played, it wasn't the worst, and it has a very unique sustain to it. Also regardless of build quality(as I have learned with acrylic drums), acrylic is acrylic and is going to pretty much sound the same.

The idea I have is since I have an extra Texan 7 bridge plate, convert this into a badass see through 7 string tele. All of the cavities I have to make bigger will be hidden either by the pickguard, or by the bridge. The only question I have, I will have to fill and redrill the string through holes....what can I fill the acrylic with? Could I just use some really strong clear glue?

Here are some pics of the project in question, which would cost around $375;
$200 for the Acryic tele, $150 for a used Squire Stagemaster 7 (reversed headstock ftw), and a little extra for shipping.

*EDIT*

Well, I just discovered I don't even have to fill the string through holes....because there are none! :metal:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The only tricky part would be the neck pocket... not sure how you could make that work and keep everything centred on the body. You could fill and re-drill the holes in the neck and just have the neck "overhang" the heel a little bit on the treble side, but leave the holes in the heel where they are and use a 6-string plate.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The only tricky part would be the neck pocket... not sure how you could make that work and keep everything centred on the body. You could fill and re-drill the holes in the neck and just have the neck "overhang" the heel a little bit on the treble side, but leave the holes in the heel where they are and use a 6-string plate.
I just realized from this that the Staegemaster 7's 23rd and 24th frets aren't just fretboard overhang. :noway: I was planning to just get rid of those two, but thats not going to work. I could just get a jackson DR7 neck or something that has 22 frets. (Then I could put a charvel logo on the headstock :lol:)

I guess just like I was thinking for the string through holes, do you think I just need a really strong, clear glue to fill the neck bolt holes?

And now I completely understand what you're saying, still can't use the Stagemaster neck, but that would be the best way. Just fill the holes in the neck itself and redrill to fit the body. :yesway:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Theyre still going to show up, very clearly, unfortunately.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
You can actually buy clear two part acrylic just like the stuff they used to make it at the craft store.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Theyre still going to show up, very clearly, unfortunately.
Thats ok, if its just the neck bolts that look a bit smoky, its fine with me. This will be a stage only guitar anyway, and all the routing such as pickups and bridge holes will be covered by the pickguard and bridge. :yesway:

You can actually buy clear two part acrylic just like the stuff they used to make it at the craft store.
I googled it, guessing you meant the 2 part acrylic epoxy thats something like like this?

Seems like a good investment for anything I need to fill. :yesway:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Kinda, yeah. Not sure if they show it online but Michaels, etc. have that and also "Crystal Clear" resin they sell that, for intensiveness purposes, are the same thing. Different brand and package, though.

My friend had a side business making replica Jurassic Park canes :)lol:) and we would buy cans and cans of that stuff to cast the handles. Same deal... two part, and dries 100% clear and hard as a rock.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
what if you completely drilled out where the string through holes are and replaced it with a glued-in solid brass block or something, with the string through holes in that? That way it would look nice and tidy, improve sustain (maybe), and not have cloudiness

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
what if you completely drilled out where the string through holes are and replaced it with a glued-in solid brass block or something, with the string through holes in that? That way it would look nice and tidy, improve sustain (maybe), and not have cloudiness
Hmm.... that actually sounds like a good idea. It would probably give it more tele twang, and would look quite nice. I did discover that the original bridge was not string through, so it shouldn't look cloudy from just drilling new holes. With that said, this seems like a good idea and could be a really good innovation for acrylic guitars in general actually. :yesway:

Guess I need to start practicing with my router while I sell a few things on ebay. :yesway:

*Edit* I've got router bits that will get the job done, but don't have a ball bearing....is there a size bearing thats best for this type of routing?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
*Edit* I've got router bits that will get the job done, but don't have a ball bearing....is there a size bearing thats best for this type of routing?
For doing that kinda stuff I have a Feud bit I got at Home Depot with the matching bearing and collar already on it. $20 - $25 I think? You really wanna get it as a set just because even 1/1000th of an inch difference will make your route come out funny and could either chew up your workpiece or your template. Also, they come with one bearing but you probably want to put another one on there to be safe; which they also sell on the same display rack.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

More gas!!! Thanks to that picture I have decided its going to be 1 hum, 1 vol. Going to use my Duncan Custom 7 because it sounds great split into a single as well. That also means less routing work for me. :D

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Well, except that you'd have to modify the bridge, which is a bit more work, and you'll still have a pickguard on it, so it won't look quite as cool as that one.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, except that you'd have to modify the bridge, which is a bit more work, and you'll still have a pickguard on it, so it won't look quite as cool as that one.
Yeah I know it won't look that cool because of the pickguard, and modifying the bridge won't be too bad. Too bad there are no companies out there that cut acrylic bodies, other than the one guy selling V and Iceman bodies for $700+ bucks because he used to make them for Kiss and Mudvayne. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I dunno... a Tele. pickguard with no neck pickup cutout will look pretty bad-ass on there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts