Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Would you let touring bands use your gear?

• yes, I don't mind

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • no, I do mind

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • noodles

Votes: 13 37.1%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you let touring bands borrow your equip if you were a local band on the same bill?

Just curious on your feelings with it. My band members and I have different opinions.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Depends on the band and how well you know them, really. I almost never have a problem with lending out my cab (hell, locals do this sort of equipment sharing all the time), but I'm a bit pickier about my amp, and guitars are right out.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
What Dave said. Also, drums are a very touchy subject, and things like snares and cymbals are usually "right out."

If it's something that can be easily fucked up, and you can't afford to replace it in case they stiff you or you don't find out until later, you have no business lending it. First priority goes to you and your band.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yeah, cabs are fine. I'll let someone play through my amp as long as I'm always in sight of it. Guitars... as long as I know the guy pretty well.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, lemme ask more directly then. What if the production manager emailed you saying DRI (or other major act) wants to borrow your gear?

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'd say why the fuck are a big band like that wanting to borrow gear
That was my initial thought. But I do remember seeing a show where one band had to borrow another band's amp because it went out during setup.

In my case, my band was emailed with the possibility that club's staff might ask us to borrow "2 full guitar stacks and a full bass stack."

I would definitely be willing to let them borrow my bass halfstack, but this request seemed odd at the same time.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Okay, lemme ask more directly then. What if the production manager emailed you saying DRI (or other major act) wants to borrow your gear?
It sounds to me like they are trying to tour on the cheap, on the backs of the locals, and I would tell him they can rent gear, like everybody else. Major acts already rely on local support to bring them more fans to play in front of, and in return, you have the opportunity to play in front of a larger audience than usual. That's the trade-off: you both bring each other people to see the other bands on the bill. If they want to borrow gear, too, then they can pay me for it.

If something shits out on them, that's once thing, but if they are asking at every tour stop...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.