Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It starts with a rainy day in South Dallas:

Yes, that's my daily driver in the background, a 1992 240 wagon. :wub:

Pretty okay for a 20 year old car, but there is plenty of damage...

Whatever, not a big problem, just gonna find a window at a junkyard... The real issue is under the hood.

Pretty clean, huh? Sure, but it's what's inside that counts!

That should be good for a first installment. :hsquid:

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Work in progress!

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, there's a signifigant gap in my picture documentation, but here we go...

Camshaft profile:

Take these out...

Viola! Cylinder head removed:

Notice the white color in the 3rd cylinder?

That's because the damn piston was hitting it! :pissed:

Block picture, @#$% graphite head gasket still in place:

Again, another gap in pictures. Resuming with:

New pressure plate, yes please!

Oil pan dropped:

Well, well, well... what do we have here?? :ugh:

Compartment sans engine:

Before I bolted it onto an engine stand:

:scream:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Why'd you bother putting paper towels in the intake runners? Not like you have to worry about dirt :lol:

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What better place to store car parts than in the trunk!

Otherwise, collect dust on my crappy garage floor!

Instruments of engine destruction!

Arch enemies?

Pictures of interest:

Hmm... why art thou elevated, 3rd piston connecting rod cap? :pissed:

OH HAI:

Two-bearings-in-one and victim piston:

Going to junkyards and recyclers tomorrow morning... Will report back with pictures!

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why'd you bother putting paper towels in the intake runners? Not like you have to worry about dirt :lol:
To look like I know what I'm doing, of course! :eek:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I used to drive an '88 740 Turbo wagon and it was a sick-sick-sick fucking vehicle. Looks like you're moving ahead pretty well so far. :yesway:

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, how I dearly miss our 240. :(

Do that 244 proud, for all of us who have loved and lost our Volvos.
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/off-topic/14048-so-we-no-longer-have-car-post-crash-photos.html

:shannon:

I used to drive an '88 740 Turbo wagon and it was a sick-sick-sick fucking vehicle. Looks like you're moving ahead pretty well so far. :yesway:
Time for another installment! :hsquid:

The junkyard visit today was quite successful. Future use may be extensive... Hopefully my car won't end up here someday! :pissed:

Interesting wheels... But I like my alloys! (Besides, there were only 2 of them left, anyway... :spock:)

1993 :noway::noway::noway:

GASP!

A DOHC 16 VALVE!

WITH ONLY BUCKETS OF RUST! :pissed:

Nice headlights. :wub:

And then, EPIC FAIL, my camera batteries die. I didn't get to document the 4-5 OTHER 240s/740s... :mad:

In total, there are 10 if not a dozen cars-of-interest at this junkyard... Only one was missing a powertrain.

Afterwords, I drove another 20 miles to an auto recycler to check out a 1988 B230f engine they had. I had called before and talked to a guy "Patrick" about it... He said it had been there a very long time, old stock number, etc. Patrick tells me that if the engine doesn't run, they don't take it. He also said they have not bought any volvo engines or transmissions since that one; evidently they just don't sell.

The price on this compatible engine is $150... Priced to move, eh? Priced to give me a shit engine, eh? :lol:

The fuel injection system in the engine-of-interest is an earlier model... But that wouldn't be a problem, especially considering Patrick doesn't even want my old engine as a core. :lol:

Thoughts, advice, suggestions, "stay away from that dusty engine!"? :ugh:

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know if you noticed, but your steering wheel is on the wrong side. :scratch:
What? Sorry, I can't hear you through the obnoxious fog and warm beer puddles. :nuts:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wow, someone took the valve cover off a 16V motor, and left the valvetrain and cams to rust? Fucking lame. :noway:

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:bump:

Sunday afternoon I'm going to put the original engine block on 2x4s in the garage... it's been cleared out significantly since the last pictures.

Sunday night I'm going to pick my dad's friend's 1971 el camino... which will be used in hauling the recycler engine back to my house!

Many pictures to come... More than likely, a rebuild of the salvage engine is imminent. Oh, how I wish to just throw the damn engine in there and drive... :noplease: But common sense says to rebuild it before putting it in. :hsquid:

First place I'm going to need to drive once I get this running is to the local Discount Tire. :lol: Not only are the current tires almost racing slicks, but they come with extreme wear that allows the steel belting of the tire to show! :pissed:

Other than that, on hold until Sunday. Full-time work and almost-full-time school are quite the bitch! I'd go and get the engine tomorrow if it weren't for the 9-6 shift! :mad:

1 - 20 of 368 Posts