Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I finally got an Xbox 360 w/ the GF for Xmas.

Now, this whole 'Xbox Live' and 'Points' stuff. I got a free 1 month Gold subscription with the unit. But I need to be schooled on this kinda stuff.

Is there any way to get subscriptions and points cheaper than on the Xbox Live Marketplace? Like, deals you can get elsewhere?

Also, where do I go to register the warranty on my 360? I don't wanna not register the warranty and get a RROD and be screwed :(

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
You can buy prepaid cards in store, but they're most of the time, the same price. They were running a promo a few weeks back where I got 1 Year gold for £26 instead of £40, through Live.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found this on Amazon

Amazon.com: Xbox LIVE 12 Month Gold Membership: Xbox 360: Video Games

Which is a good deal, for sure. But Jenny and I both wanna be able to play online under our own accounts. Now the Family account (4 users) runs $99, but if I went with 2 separate accounts, it'd only be $80 if we did both of them from Amazon... can 1 Xbox have more than 1 live account associated with it? Or do we HAVE to get the Family membership?

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But wouldn't we have to keep logging each other in and out to use our accounts? I don't know how an Xbox Live account works in conjunction with a Windows Live ID account?

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Your xbox account is linked to your Windows Live account, yes, but you don't have to log in with a password each time you want to use your xbox live account.

You can set it so that you have to put in your password upon logging in with your xbox live account on your xbox, but it isn't mandatory.
So if you find that you are putting in your Windows Live password each time you log in with your xbox live account, you can disable that under Settings>Account.

Also, multiple accounts can be logged in at the same time, and there isn't really a 'primary' user when multiple accounts are logged in.

For example, if you're logged in first, and then she logs in, she doesn't have to wait for you to log out before she can start playing a game (assuming you're not currently playing anything) even if it is single player and she is using the second controller.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Also, Gold accounts work the same way as Silver accounts (free accounts) do, except with more features related to live, so if you want to see how two profiles handle each other, set up a couple of silver accounts.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do I set up a silver account? It basically only gave me the option for the 1 free month of gold account?

And so, by what you're saying, its WAY cheaper for us to buy the 2 1-year Gold accounts for $40 each then huh?

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
When no one is signed in, you can select 'Create Profile' from the xbox menu (Center button on your controller)

From there it should be pretty straight forward. It may make you take the 1 month gold trial if you haven't before (it is Microsoft after all..) but if you opt to just make a local profile (As in, not selecting to join xbox live) then that's the same difference as to what I was referring to anyway.

2x 1-year accounts is cheaper, yes. But also, do you both need xbox live gold accounts? The only reason you'd both need Gold accounts is if you both wanted to play multiplayer games online under your profiles. Silver accounts (or local accounts not connected to xbox live) are fine for local multiplayer and single player.

If you are both looking to play online multiplayer, and don't want to share the same profile for online only, then go for the 2x 1yr from Amazon.

Otherwise, two silver accounts, or 1 Gold and one Silver account might be viable alternatives.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We both want to be able to play separate games online. She wants to play Dance Central w/ her friends, and I want to play Rocksmith with mine :D

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool. Then I'll definitely be ordering them :yesway: Thanks for the info!

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
We both want to be able to play separate games online. She wants to play Dance Central w/ her friends, and I want to play Rocksmith with mine :D
Seeing as you can't do both those things at the same time, wouldn't it make more sense/be cheaper to just share an account?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
It would be cheaper, yes. But it seems they would like to keep them seperate.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I guess I don't see the point in having two accounts if you aren't going to be using them both at the same time. The games maintain separate records of achievement within the profile. The only issue would be whether or not you want your friends to see the fact that it looks like you have been playing Dance Central or not. :lol:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only issue would be whether or not you want your friends to see the fact that it looks like you have been playing Dance Central or not. :lol:
This :lol:

Not to mention also, if you haven't seen an Xbox 360 profile... the Avatar stuff is kinda fun to customize too :lol:

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
:lol: Fair enough.

You have picked a good time to pick one up really. Tonnes of good titles available dirt cheap this late in the console's life, and at least one more AAA title in Mass Effect 3 due in the new year. :yesway:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be frankly honest, I doubt I'll play more than just Rocksmith and the UFC Trainer game. Maybe a UFC fighting game, or the EA MMA game. But that'll be about it. Just too busy with other shit in life :(

Also, another question. Do we each need Windows Live ID's for each account? Or can we put both profiles and Xbox Live accounts under the same Windows Live ID?

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Rog, you DEFINITELY want to buy the prepaid yearly subscriptions vs. paying monthly. They charge $10/month which ends up being $120 a year, vs $60/year with the prepaid card. Same membership and everything for half the price? Fucking EASY decision in my head for which I'd want to buy.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah MFB, I get that. But its even better when you only pay $40/yr by buying it thru Amazon.com ;)

FML the 'card' just went back up in price to $52.99 :( But the 'code' is still $39.99, which I'll be ordering tonight when I get off work ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts