Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what's everyone want for xmas? And, have you bought yourself anything yet?

Also, on Xmas day, show off your haul!

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Hopefully getting myself a set of bkp war pigs, going to go ball deep and get some fancy covers for them, for my 2027xl

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I've gotten like, 2-3 gear presents ever. :lol: Every so often my mom will be like, "I need a Christmas idea, anything guitar centric?". She got me a Strobostomp and a Maxon, but that's about it.

Obviously that's because I'm pretty specific with gear. :lol: Guitarists are hard to buy for. I get guitar centric presents for other guitarists, because my taste is impeccable. But there are maybe two people in the world who know the exact kinds of guitar I like down to the specifics where it would be like, "Yeah, we can get him this as a present and he'll actually like it."

In terms of guitar presents I'm giving. I am doing a complete refret/overhaul of my sister's classical. That's from the 70s and the frets are so worn it's basically fretless, still waiting for shit to show up.

I also got a fucking ten pack of those nifty new D'addario clip on tuners and gave them to a bunch of people, as well as sticking them on my own. Normal clip on tuners are too big for me to use, leaving on there permanently, but these tiny new D'addario ones rule. Highly recommended both as low profile unobtrusive clip on tuners and stock stuffers.

That's sort of a passive aggressive present though. :lol: Like, "Hey, you should try playing in tune". They sell them in packs on ebay, so I bought a couple packs and gave the ones I didn't need to people who occasionally play but not enough to have a pedal tuner.

It's definitely better to give guitar centric presents then to get them. Some people you can definitely safely buy for, but there are also a lot of people who are ultra specific about relatively obscure or not widely available vintage gear.

Giving guitar centric gifts rules. Because when they open them it's like, "that's right, witness my incredible knowledge of all things guitar, my taste is impeccable". I pride myself on never having given a bad guitar gift. For a present for my brother in law a while back, I just spirited his MIM P-Bass out of his closet and cleaned it up and gave it some mods. Thing was stock and nasty.

Everyone was like, "Garrett, the thought it nice, but you can't take people's guitars and modify them without them knowing". But he ended up absolutely loving it. I believe his exact words were, "I've never seen this bass in that good shape". I don't know if he bought it new or used or what, but many people don't know the miracle properties of an actual proper fretboard clean.

Honestly 90% of it is just Gorgomyte and Lemon Oil. That's a never fail gift. If you know guitarists who are more casual or not particularly tech inclined, just take their shit and restring it and give it the Gorgomyte and Lemon Oil treatment.

I give out free fretboard cleanings year round though, whether there is an occasion or not. I'm not particularly picky about dinging up gear or whatever, but I am absolutely militant about fretboard gear. That's not even a present for people, it's tragic to see a nice instrument with a gunked up fretboard.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The weirdest gear centric Christmas gift I've ever been involved in was when my Dad bought a Seagull S6 for a multi-millionaire lawyer he was doing a huge contracting project for. The dude is kinda/sorta a family friend, the expansion was fucking huge, it was already an expensive house, but he wanted basically a second house grafted onto it with all kinds of rich person shit like saunas and voice activated showers. This was when I was like 19. He just approached me out of the blue and was like, "I have to get a guitar for someone for Christmas and I need to know what's good. And I was like, "Hahahaha, wink wink, you don't need to get me a guitar dad" and he replied, "It's not for you, it's for (multi millionaire lawyer dude)."

He's just the kind of guy who does insane shit like that. My dad was convinced that this dude's life was a tragedy because he actually wanted to be some sort of traveling folk singer troubador and the cruelity of fate and/or society forced him to become a multi-millionaire lawyer instead.

It's sort of a Christmas legend, because the only person in the entire world who thought this dude wanted to be a traveling folk singer troubador was my dad. I wasn't actually there when he presented the gift, but since they are semi-neighbors/family friends, I heard about how fucking out of nowhere it was afterwards.

It's not the weirdest thing my dad's ever done by a fucking longshot, but it is an all time classic. He was legitimately convinced that if fate had taken several different turns, this dude would have been the next Johnny Cash. This dude is like, at least ten to fifteen times richer than my dad too. It's not like he couldn't have got his own guitar. :lol:

Also, my dad once bought a shotgun for the husband of multi-millionaire dude's sister, who also lives nearby.

That, in and of itself isn't that weird, but it's a notably crazy gift because at the time the guy was 4 years into having a pretty serious case of Alzheimer. I have no idea why my dad thought going target shooting with a guy with Alzheimers was a good idea, but that actually happened. He's a, "DOCTORS ARE FOR WIMPS" kind of guy, I think that he either thought Alzheimers is a myth, or somehow he would reverse his Alzheimers with a manly target shooting session. Miraculously, no one got hurt.

For America that's arguably not that weird though. In most other parts of the world people are of the "Don't give elderly people with dementia loaded guns" persuasion, but in American, Clint "addresses an empty chair pretending its Barack Obama/totally doesn't have dementia" Eastwood is still shooting guns. He's probably shooting guns at this very moment.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
Just bought myself a mid-80's Crybaby. Really, it's more because I need a wah pedal, it was $20, and my Rocktron died without my knowledge since the last time I used it.

I asked everyone to get me an SSL AWS900 but for some reason no one wanted to get it for me.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
A set of Celestions for my Marshall stack, all the things to assemble my Warlock project (electronics, pickups, knobs, pickups rings, screws, etc.), a Hipshot bridge for my Franken7 and I think that's about it - except whatever the wife surprises me with...

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've bought myself a bb preamp, after deciding i missed the one i sold... otherwise, not really any gear as can't think of anything that falls in the "cheap" category

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
I'm gonna do a NGD after Xmas Day but I just picked this up on a whim

Reactions: 343

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
My recent JP70 is close enough that I'm going to consider that my gift to myself. Since it's just me and the cat, I assume that's all I'll be getting*

*There is still time for a Christmas Hairball to appear.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Everything is for my son these days, since my wife and I just buy ourselves the shit we want. :lol:

Santa's getting him a bunch of construction toys and a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. :yesway: Santa would love to buy himself a 1-hum ESP if he can find one.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
For Christmas a new PC, the one I built has shit the bed after 7 years so it is time. Amazing what you get now for less than it cost to build mine.

For my Birthday, Jan 1, Bias FX to run on my new puter, see what VST land has, probly a Neural DSP pac too.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Picked up this 9V battery pack for my Pedaltrain Nano board, which I'm using in my ZZ Top tribute band, which is now officially called Quattro Hombres, though I'm still not sure about the spelling :lol:

Attachments

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Everything is for my son these days, since my wife and I just buy ourselves the shit we want. :lol:

Santa's getting him a bunch of construction toys and a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. :yesway: Santa would love to buy himself a 1-hum ESP if he can find one.
Ok but what kind of fish are going to be in there?

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
Picked up this 9V battery pack for my Pedaltrain Nano board, which I'm using in my ZZ Top tribute band, which is now officially called Quattro Hombres, though I'm still not sure about the spelling :lol:
It's definitely wrong, unless you're driving an Audi. :lol:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
I'm gonna do a NGD after Xmas Day but I just picked this up on a whim
That sure is purdy.

We're kinda the same, but buy ourselves Christmas gifts so there's something for everyone under the tree. :lol:

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Unlikely to arrive for Christmas, but I'm looking to get Piezo's into my Horizon and develop an AB switching system for using them live.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I was going to buy me one of these for Christmas:

but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. My dogs destroyed our old sofa (it was more duct tape than leather...and also like 20 yrs old) so someone had to spend $1100 on a new sofa :erk:

I did give my old 89 Kramer Focus to a 23 yr old aspiring lutheir to get it re-fretted. Its a gamble but hes only charging me $150 and ive seen his work. Kid builds his own guitars and does some solid work.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Last thing I bought was an ART tube preamp for my EV RE20 - that was over a month ago, so it doesn't really count as a Christmas haul. Unless something amazing shows up on Craigslist or such, I'm probably not going to spend any money.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts