Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, over the last couple of days I bought a few bits of gear. I've spent around $3500 all told, and it was mostly impulse. Here's what went down.

The other day, I decide to get some tubes for my 2101, and juuust in case GC had a Roadster in stock, I took my clubs out of my car. Lo and behold they did, and the salesman that I worked with was absolutely fucking awesome - older guy, rock n' roll to the bone, made sure I played some other amps, made sure I had a new cable/footswitch from a model that wasn't on the floor, etc, etc. The guy took great care of me, and as a result instead of spending $50 on tubes I spent $2300 on the Roadster, 808 and some misc cables.

So today I go back in there and immediately look for him. He says he can't help me out, because the stuff that I want is in Pro Audio. I say that's a bummer, but he walks back, introduces me to the sales guy, etc. I have a 6 space Roadrunner rack that I paid ~$175 for there about a year ago. I don't gig. It's in 99/100 condition. The 2-space variant that I want is on sale for $70.

So I bring the empty case in, and tell the guy "Hey, I just spent $2300 here yesterday, and I'm here to pick up a case, a drum machine, an interface, a mic, and some more cables. I know that music gear depreciates, but I'd appreciate it if you don't completely lean me over on my trade in."

There are racks on the floor in way worse shape than mine, that are new but floor models that have been banged around, and they're selling them as new. I figure $80 for mine is fine, but if they absolutely have to make a profit off of me, I won't be offended at $60 because I know the drill. So it would cost me $20 extra to downgrade my 6 space to a 2-space, but that's the nature of gear trading, and I would be fine with it.

The kid comes back and says that he'll offer me $25 for my rack. I tell him that I'm a bit offended by both that absurd offer, and the fact that, hey, by the way, I'm about to spend another thousand dollars in here, on the stipulation that you don't fuck me over on my trade in.

"There's nothing I can do."

I'm not going to lie, I came into some cash lately from some overtime I've put in at work, and I'm buying some of the gear that I've been jonesing for. I had every intent of playing strats (I even sent Drew a text saying that I was going to pick one up) and Martins this morning, and it's very, very possible (you know how little willpower I have) that I would have walked out with one, or both of them, along with my recording gear.

Instead, I picked up my rack case, walked out, drove 5 miles up the road to Daddy's Junky Music and bought my pro audio stuff there. They had no high end acoustics, and only a couple of Strats, neither of which did anything for me.

So instead of GC making another $2000+ off of me today, all I did was return the TS-808, and they lost $150. As I was walking out of the store, the store manager was at the door and asked me how far off they were on my trade. I told him exactly what happened, that I had just bought the most expensive amp on their floor yesterday, and that I was here to buy a drum machine, some mics, and an interface, and oh yeah, I'm going to check out some Martins and Strats, too. The guy just shrugged it off and said "Ok, see ya", along with a reminder that they were having some 10% off sale.

I know that DJM is another music conglomerate, but the guys there (all of them) treated me like gold. They had no idea if I was going to buy some picks or spend $700 on pro audio stuff when I walked in the door, and as a customer, I felt like my dollars mattered. It's unfortunate that they don't carry Mesa stuff (and I don't want to fuck the one good GC sales guy that I worked with), otherwise I'd return the Roadster to the manager and tell him that the reason is that I'm going to buy it up the street at a store that doesn't insult their customers with ridiculous lowball offers.

I've probably spent over 10 large at that GC over the years, and for the sake of $40 on a trade-in that they'd sell for at least twice that used, I will never shop there again.

/Rant

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
This doesn't surprise me to tell you the truth. When I go into a major music store, I know that stuff like this happens all the time, even if you're a big spender one day and go back in the next... GC will always offer to pay you next to nothing if you want to sell them gear. It's always better to sell your stuff on craigslist.

I would've returned the Roadster and ask DJM to order it for me (if they could).

Sorry bro, they suck big jamaican horse cock...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow.

I'd turn that fucking Roadster back in anyway. Fuck 'em.

:idea: And get yourself a nice new Digitech! :lol:
:lol: Nah. The salesman that I worked with on the Roadster was aces, and they work on commission. Any satisfaction I'd get from shafting the store would be way offset by the fact that I was really just sticking it to a working stiff who's paid too little to begin with. You couldn't pay me enough to listen to kids butcher Enter Sandman all day long. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know you at all, but given your willpower comment, I give it a week before you're in there again.

On the other hand, GC sucks dick and it's a man.
Not this store, I won't. DJM up the street sells all the accessories/strings/bullshit that every guitarist buys commonly. Guitars, unfortunately, are all different - especially acoustics, so I'd never order one online. There's another GC within driving distance, and a couple of mom/pop places towards Boston that carry them as well.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
They wanted to give me 180 bucks for my Washburn EC-29 white crackle in almost perfect shape. The stipulation was, I had to return it to 100% stock. It had an Edge trem, an X2N bridge, and Lace Sensor neck, upgraded so far beyond the stock shit, they were fucking idiots. I sold it on ebay for over 600. Fuck them.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I would've just gone to Matts. he's a Mesa dealer. Build a relationship with him and he takes good care of you.
The people you deal with at GC are so hit and miss.
There used to be a guy named Adam that worked at the GC on Comm ave, that took such good care of me and my bud, that we always went straight to him for everything or over a year.
We probably dropped over $4,000.00 in there between the 2 of us on amps and guitars.
He got canned for 'being too generous" to the customers.
I wil never step foot in that store again.
fuck em.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Unfortunately, that's about par for the course. I've had relatively good luck at GCs where most of the sales guys are either clueless, but easy to get to leave me alone, or actual;ly pretty cool guys (the guy I bought the Nomad from correctly ID'd a bit of a Tony Macalpine influence in what I was noodling, and we shot the shit about Maximum Security for a bit after that; the day I impulse-bought my Rectoverb, the sales guy offerered to pull down the store's JEM7VWH for me, not to try to sell it to me but because, since I was playing a UV and was obviously a bit of an Ibanez guy, he wanted a second opinion on it, as he wasn't really impressed by how it played. And he was right, it just felt sluggish and uninspiring). Similarly, I've had guys in Daddy's try to get me to commit to a TSL100 half stack within 10 minutes of plugging in for the first time, or a Parker Fly after 5 minutes of noodling.

Basically, they all suck. Some locations are better than others, but none of the chains are any good.

It's a bit of a road trip for you, dude, but Matt's Music down in Weymouth is pretty excellent, and Matt;s definitely a bit of a metalhead. You'd like him. You might want to considering asking the sales guy what his commission was (probably 5%), handing him that in cash, and just buying that head from there.

EDIT - sniped by Nick. :lol: I almost, but didn't, buy a stiletto from him before I bought Dave's Roadster, I kind of feel obligated to go in there and buy something. He was that cool a guy.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does Matt's have Taylor/Martins?

In my strat-hunt, I'm really only looking for the exact same model/color that Drewster has. I have this hope that one day I'll walk in somewhere, and it'll be hanging on the wall. I even had that in mind when I went to Ed Roman's place. :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
It's a shame, because Guitar Center could be much better than what it is.

I'm always slightly offended every time they have to 'check my receipt' when I walk out the door. I'm like "I just came in to get some strings, do you see me trying to sneak a fucking guitar out underneath my arms?".

That's why if I'm ever in Virginia, I always just go to Richmond Music Center. Really great group of guys. Not to mention some of the nicest guitars and I gear I've ever touched.

Also, the Daddy's Junky up in New Hampshire that I used to go to just about every day when I was working up north to play a used Floral Jem through a Digitech 2101 and Peavey Classic 50 treated me like freaking gold.

I think Guitar Center needs to get away from the lowest price carry everything Costo approach, and try to become more personable and interactive, and I think they'll win over more customers.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's the problem - GC kind of has a monopoly now. DJM used to be awesome, but their selection usually sucks, they have nowhere near the inventory, and honestly 99% of the guitars in their store are bottom of the line $300 jobbies. The best acoustic they had in there was a $400 Yamaha.

GC, on the other hand, has all that shit in stock. Though it horrifies me when I see a 13 year old emo kid banging away on some $3000 Taylor in the music room.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Matt has acoustics but I have no idea what brands he carries.
****edit ***
he carries
Alvarez
Martin
Samick
Ibanez
the other good thing about Matts is once you build a relationship with him he takes great care of you.
When I bought my JSX head from him he actually let me take it home for the weekend so I could crank it up and make sure that it was the head that I really wanted (without paying for it first).
That's the type of Ma/Pa shop customer care that always brings me back.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.