Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Taco Six-Niner
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I can tell you guys love these threads, so I figured what the hell :)

I just started jamming with some people after not really playing for years, and I need an amp. I've been using a POD XT with headphones for the longest time, but plugging it into anything else just sounds terrible. Could be I just don't know how to set the thing up properly, but I'm tired of fucking with it and just want to plug direct into something that sounds awesome.

I don't need anything big, I'm thinking combo solid state and I'd like to stay under $250 if possible. I will just be using it in our practice space, we're a long way from playing shows. I found a used Crate GX140C on Craigslist for $125, and apparently the GX130C was good enough for Cannibal Corpse, and similar to the VH-140C that everyone raves about (which I can't find anywhere), shouldn't be too much of a difference there, right?

I'm open to any other suggestions as well. After my experience with this POD I'm kind of wary about buying anything with amp modeling or any other fancy bullshit. I just want chugs that will release bowels and pinch harmonics that make panties wet. I don't think that's too much to ask for :D

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've never once heard a single Crate product and thought "Hey, that sounds good".

For that price, personally I'd try and hunt down an older green-stripe Peavey Stereo Chorus or Classic Chorus 212.

·
Taco Six-Niner
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No we don't :squint:
Yeah, I read that. Twice. Didn't really help, it seems everyone went from turd to something way out of my price range. Also I think your sarcasm detector is broken, but thanks ;)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
$250 is just a rough price range to find anything good - especially on here. We tend to be a collection of cork-sniffers around these parts. :lol:

·
Taco Six-Niner
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$250 is just a rough price range to find anything good - especially on here. We tend to be a collection of cork-sniffers around these parts. :lol:
Exactly why I asked, I figured you guys would know the diamonds in the rough so to speak :) I never would have though to look for an Ampeg before digging through all the threads here.

Music go round has a Randall RG100SC for $200, sounds pretty brutal from what I can find on youtube. Going to go check it out this afternoon. They actually have a Peavy Classic Chorus as well for $149, thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
If you're looking for VH140C type sounds, DEFINITELY buy that G130C (if it's in good condition). That's one of my fav amps and it can get a brutal raw SS distortion, not to mention that the clean channel is a complete clone of a JC-120

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The pod xt sounds leaps and bounds better with my dual rectifier as a power amp than through headphones.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I agree with Josh. Also check used.guitarcenter.com for some deals. Someone else here turned me onto that, and I was able to find quite a few good deals.

EDIT

Oh dear lord, they have a used Hot Cat 30R for $1300. Must. Stay. On. Target. Have cash, but already allocated it to other stuff.

More important to this thread, they have a used JC20H for $175.

EDIT AGAIN

Sweet fark, a friggin' Road King 2x12 combo for $999, or as I like to call it, "The Hernia Maker". Stiletto Ace for $1200. I swear I'm never buying a new amp again.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Jeff i think they were selling some triples for like 1k on tgere as well :eek:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Actually, for just a little more than $250 you can get this single-channel beastie:

Buy Jet City Amplification JCA2112RC 20W Tube Guitar Combo Amp | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

To do death metal or higher-gain stuff than Maiden/Judas Priest you'll probably need a Tubescreamer or other distortion pedal out front, but this combo is *fantastic* and is plenty loud for rehearsals or stage volume, plus it takes pedals very well.
This :agreed: I have the combo and I have no problems keeping up with a 4x12 and a drummer :yesway:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
This :agreed: I have the combo and I have no problems keeping up with a 4x12 and a drummer :yesway:
that thing kicks ass all day and night. Im holding out for the 2 channel fx loop version thats supposed to come out later this year.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Yeah, I read that. Twice. Didn't really help, it seems everyone went from turd to something way out of my price range. Also I think your sarcasm detector is broken, but thanks ;)
Oh no, yours is :fawk:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Meh, I'm a 50 watt kinda guy. After I finish my Strat/synth setup, I'm a gonna start saving for a Stiletto Ace combo.

that thing kicks ass all day and night. Im holding out for the 2 channel fx loop version thats supposed to come out later this year.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts

:yum:

·
Taco Six-Niner
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought the Randall RG100SC :metal:

It sounds sick, GREAT low end and plenty of juice. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Now to find a new bridge pickup..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts