Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order pickups for my RobAnomRG. In the interest of trying something completely different than all of the setups that I have now, I'm thinking the YJM neck single:

And a JB:

Might be a pretty neat combo. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
It should work pretty well. I checked the SD forums for opinions on the Fury and most people that have tried seem to like them well enough. Even flickoflash bought a set. They must be awesome. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
The JYM set is great. I've dropped them into a Malmsteen strat and a G&L Legacy. They sounded awesome in both. :yesway:

Not too sure how much of a volume difference there's going to be with a JB in the bridge. The YJM's are slightly hotter than the original Dimarzios (bridge especially), but they're still relatively low output.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's my only concern - that I'll flip from bridge to neck and have a bigass volume difference. The laces that I have in my EX/Strat are awesome, but if I unplug, say, my 550 and plug in either of those guitars, the volume is quite a bit lower. That would quickly become obnoxious in a one-guitar setting.

What's out there in a single that's about the same output as the JB?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If one guitar is louder than the rest, you can always pop a small resistor in series with your output jack to bring it down a bit.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If one guitar is louder than the rest, you can always pop a small resistor in series with your output jack to bring it down a bit.
Opposite problem. Lace sensors are low output, so they're quieter than everything else that I own. It's not a big deal if I'm switching guitars, I can just tap the volume knob. What I want to avoid is having a high output and a low output pickup in the same guitar.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
That's my only concern - that I'll flip from bridge to neck and have a bigass volume difference. The laces that I have in my EX/Strat are awesome, but if I unplug, say, my 550 and plug in either of those guitars, the volume is quite a bit lower. That would quickly become obnoxious in a one-guitar setting.

What's out there in a single that's about the same output as the JB?
It'll have to be relatively hot, but not insane. It will be unlikely to maintain the glassy "mid-scoop" vintage sound... will instead have more midrange thickness - translates into a good metal lead sound, I'm sure.

The Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound in Josh's ESP Mirage balanced quite well with his Aldrich, and it comes (or can be ordered...?) with a coil tap if you wish to have a lower-output setting for moar cleans. Get the flat profile SSL-4.

The SSL-6 Custom Flat is one step back from that for more of a mid-scoop sound, but it's still a muscular single-coil. Not sure how loud it is.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm gonna give it a go. :yesway: Pickups are easy to change, and I am intrigued by this setup like a motherfucker.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/23.411; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Actually, that was a JB in the Mirage. They work really well together, the Quarter Pounder and the JB.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Ahh. Didn't read the thread closely enough :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts