Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Papa Carlo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the last year I got so many requests for fan-fretted Duality model so I finally had to change my mind and go for that weird option.

So here's what we're create/build this time

I decided to kill 2 rabbits at a time and apply this option to the Bird's Eye Duality I was about to start, so here're the specs as they are now:

Duality 7 FF BE

* · 25 frets, 632/682mm, 24.88-26.85"
* · Korina (Limba) body
* · 5A bird's eye maple top
* · 5A bird's eye maple neck
* · ViK reversed "split-design" headstock
* · 5A bird's eye fingerboard with compound radius
* · Nordstrand Signature 7 pickups
* · Gotoh SGS510 tuners (18:1 gear ratio)
* · ABM 7 individual saddles bridge
* · German fretwire
* · Gotoh 2 way truss rod
* · 2 CTS 500K pot
* · 5 way super-switch
* · Switchcraft long type input jack
* · Schaller straplocks
* · Black ABS binding arround the neck
* · Buffalo horn nut
* · Nitro-cellulouse high gloss natural finish

I'm going to start the project in the very beginning of July or maybe this week. I'll be posting detailed process on ViK Guitar Forum and update this thread often as well. So take your time and check for new posts.

If someone wants to pickup/reserve this project I don't mind. Ask for quote.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Those specs looks very cool.

If I have on little nitpick it's I prefer both pickups be slanted like the bridge pickup. I think it makes the guitar look more symmetrical and I think the neck pickup would sound a bit better.

·
Papa Carlo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those specs looks very cool.

If I have on little nitpick it's I prefer both pickups be slanted like the bridge pickup. I think it makes the guitar look more symmetrical and I think the neck pickup would sound a bit better.
I don't think neck pickup slanted to bridge would sound "better", it would sound different. And not in the way I like. I personally prefer deeper bigger bass in the neck. A nice guitar with good quality pickup would have enough definition in that position but would also bring all growling depth and breathe.

·
Papa Carlo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And some piczzz

First of all for those who hasn't seen it yet - ViK Guitars Duality 7 model as it looks in real life

The woods:

The body blank - curly white limba

The top and the fingerboard - 5A bird's eye maple

and the neck - 5A bird's eye maple

The neck will be set-in by ViK ISNC-S system.
There will also be black bindings arround the neck (and maybe body) like this.

And of course inlays, I'm not sure yet but maybe this

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Wow that looks just incredible. Seriously I am impressed and I want one. I wish I didn't go back to grad school cause I would have money and I would buy that!

·
Papa Carlo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I finally got to actually start the project.

Here's our body.

A small piece is missimg fot it to be one-piece so I'll have to glue it.

with this excellent hide-glue

Cut and glued

Here's our BE maple top

some preparation

And here's the pattern

I placed the template that way so as many "eyes" as possible get into it. The top looks gorgous

Glued it with hide-glue

And the neck

The eyes on the neck match the body so well so I diceded to make it one piece, without separate fingerboard or headstock angle, staright-headed like a strat.

·
Registered
219 Posts
While that will no doubt turn out to be a sick piece of work, I was hoping someone could help me out here...I have never had the chance to play a fan-fretted guitar, so I'm curious: what is the appeal of playing on something like this?

Let me apologize right now for digressing off topic slightly, I have no intent to hijack the thread, I just couldn't find a better place to ask this...

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
With a fan fretted instrument, you get a longer scale length for the bass strings, and a shorter scale length for the treble.

This will give you clearer, tighter bass, and warmer, rounder treble. Best of both worlds, especially on guitars with 7 or more strings, going looooow into the bassier registers. Kind of like baritone bass notes, Strat mid tones, and Les Paul highs.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
With a fan fretted instrument, you get a longer scale length for the bass strings, and a shorter scale length for the treble.

This will give you clearer, tighter bass, and warmer, rounder treble. Best of both worlds, especially on guitars with 7 or more strings, going looooow into the bassier registers. Kind of like baritone bass notes, Strat mid tones, and Les Paul highs.
You forget to mention that they just feel right when you play them. The fanned frets suit the natural splaying of one's fingers perfectly.

·
Nasty user
333 Posts
You're using some sexy woods there, man ;)

I still cannot get into fanned frets, maybe I need one to start getting comfy :lol:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts