Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Three bandages, it has helped my alternate picking tremendously.

I cant even describe how happy i am right now because i am breaking so much new ground i have been trying to break for years.

wow.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
He appears to have taped the pick to his thumb.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats pretty impressive, i went out to the store and bought first aid tape (seems to be working better)

So far im really happy with using tape, ill see how the pick holders work when they come in the mail.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I don't see this technique being particularly good for metal. How are you going to go the kind of tight riffing of, say, Raining Blood with the tight ferocity it needs? Also, the alternate picking parts were very sloppy, and, with the range of motion required by the hand to get a decent pick attack, I can't imagine having a degree of control over the dynamics and articulation/attack with that part of the finger. Not a degree that compares with a more traditional grip.

This might be useful for those who do so much switching between finger picking and plectrum that it becomes economical and worth the trade off. Perhaps some people can take the approach and play just as well and reap benefits from it. I'm definitely neither of those, though. And I'd guess most metal players wouldn't, either.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Agreed, the "Hey, no problem Jan Laurenz technique" looks like a bad idea. Tons of players use a thumb pick and fingers, or regular flat pick and fingers (especially country players)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.