Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
:ssisdown: so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure that guy got perma'd for being a troll. :lol:

I can't see the video(s) at work so I won't comment yet, but it is humorous to me that a lot of people at RT are choosing the "brighter sounding one." I still say that if the tone comparison is even up for debate, it's a steal south of $500.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I must say, I like the HD sound he got out of it. Line 6 sounds like they've gotten a lot better. I wonder if it's just easier to dial out the pinchy fizz that Line 6 is famous for.

It'd be nice if he elaborated on his setup like how he recorded and processed things.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
:lol: rig talk :lol:

The guys know quite a bit about amps, but they are a serious bunch of corksniffers as well. If you ever go into the off topic forum you'll see that they (most of the regular posters) are a huge bunch of bigots and homophobes.

edit: Not Ola though (though I would hardly call him a rig talk regular), his demos are pretty much worthless on comparing products though. And I mean that in a good way, since he makes everything sound inhumanly awesome.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Well this vid shows a big contrast between the two products, that's 100% sure. I wish I could sit down with both myself.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To me the take-home message is that Line 6 seems to have really improved things to be even compared to the Axe, and that for $500, the HD might be a good deal for someone not wanting to spend $2000+MIDI foot controller on the Axe.

I mean, think about it; my rig would basically be the diet/lite version of Chris's. A DC-5 with a POD HD in the loop, instead of a Roadster with an Axe. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Really interesting comparison. I listened to the clips before reading the commentary, and was relieved, I guess, to hear that there was a minority who walked away with the same impression as me - the HD sounds surprisingly good, but I suspect the Axe sounds a little more "authentic" as to what the actual amp would have sounded like if you put a SM57 up against the grill. There's a bit of a buzz to the high end that I don't actually care for much, but I suspect a bit of EQ and the wash from the cymbals would cover that, and the resulting sound would cut pretty well. The HD, meanwhile, sounded more "polished" and "lush" (and sounds like it's got a bit of reverb/room sound happening, too), but in a way that I suspect isn't natural and wouldn't sit as well in a mix.

That said, they really did sound surprisingly different, and the Pod HD really did sound a heck of a lot better than I'd expected it to.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I still say that if the tone comparison is even up for debate, it's a steal south of $500.
:agreed:

If the HD is even in the same zip code as the Axe Fx it would be a really good purchase for the price Line 6 is asking.

·
18,790 Posts
Really interesting comparison. I listened to the clips before reading the commentary, and was relieved, I guess, to hear that there was a minority who walked away with the same impression as me - the HD sounds surprisingly good, but I suspect the Axe sounds a little more "authentic" as to what the actual amp would have sounded like if you put a SM57 up against the grill. There's a bit of a buzz to the high end that I don't actually care for much, but I suspect a bit of EQ and the wash from the cymbals would cover that, and the resulting sound would cut pretty well. The HD, meanwhile, sounded more "polished" and "lush" (and sounds like it's got a bit of reverb/room sound happening, too), but in a way that I suspect isn't natural and wouldn't sit as well in a mix.

That said, they really did sound surprisingly different, and the Pod HD really did sound a heck of a lot better than I'd expected it to.
:agreed: Though, I'd be willing to bet you could tweak them to sound almost identical. I don't know if he just set them both so the "knobs" were in the same place (didn't read the thread), but it doesn't sound like they tried very hard to get the same sound from both.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Axe FX sounds better to me on that video, but the Line6 sounds pretty good still.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Time to sell the XT and buy one of these, especially if they sound that good without loads and loads and loads and loads of post EQ and stupid compression.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts