Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Go look up Skrillex.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You know your techno, trance, dance, etc. is good when...
...it's not playing.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
You know your techno, trance, dance, etc. is good when...
...it has become a victim of tampering with the space-time continuum, and ceases to exist due to a giant time machine landing on the douchebag who thought this type of music would be a good idea.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I know dubstep is the "ZOMG! TRENDY GENRE DU JOUR!" but I heard a few tracks I really enjoyed recently.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Well, I'll respectfully have to disagree with you both. I enjoy it for the textures. On a good system, the range of frequencies and how your speakers react to them makes for a pretty good pallet of sounds. I love traditional techno, but it's pretty much 3/4 of the sound is in one range (the middle) and everything else is in the subwoofer; just feels stale to me sometimes.

But, that's all a matter of opinion. I do enjoy both but then again, I like everything so that's not saying much.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
dubstep - the "djent" of electronic music.

has some cool rythms, but when everyone and his neighbour starts to use them, and ONLY them, it gets boring pretty fast.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
^ Exactly. And when you're dealing with a genre that seems to be based entirely on such limited and set stylings (and when it seems nobody wants to try and bend them into new territory...), it really does feel just a bit off (for me, anyway).

EDIT AGAIN: I guess what gets to me is "where is this going to even go?" You know? Are we just going to have another few years of different named artists pumping out the exact same 3 minutes of wobble, oddly standout snares and high pitched stuttered synth, or will someone at some point actually do something with it and turn it into something more than another genre-name cash cow :shrug:

[/completelysubjectivedouche]

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
And that's where I think we part ways. Djent got overused but did I like Periphery, Tesseract, Fellsilent, etc. any less because of it? No. The "and also" clones stay pretty far away from my playlist and POOF! magic "the fact it's trendy doesn't bother me" super resistance shield.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Also "cash cow" might be a bit of an overstatement, considering most of the kids abusing either genre pirate music and use pirated software to copy it, anyway.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts