Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I was following your experiences over at the YRG Yahoo group. I preordered a YRG but cancelled my order a few days ago based on your review and those of others. Pretty disappointing, I'd say.

The new music I'm starting to work on now is sort of a cosmic groove thing, in which I'm going to be using a lot of electric and acoustic piano sounds. I find that it's just easier to play those on keyboard than to try and convert the voicings to a guitar fingerboard. I'm no Chick Corea, but for some reason playing keyboard comes to me a lot easier now than it used to. In some ways, it's easier than playing guitar.

I would like to check out that Rock Controller or one of the Z-Tars eventually, but it's not a huge priority for me right now.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I really wish I had the time and patience to learn keys, because it's so easy to find a cheap and decent USB controller.
I've been "sort of" playing keys for over 20 years, so it's not like I started yesterday, but I find that one of the most important things is starting with the building blocks, especially getting a feel for the chord voicings. You can do that without practicing 5 hours a day. For me, comping and fairly basic runs are more important than being able to play solo piano pieces, which I'm a *long* way from being able to do.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I believe the Yamaha EZ-EG is very limited, even compared to the You Rock Guitar. Starr Labs appears to be the only company out there making MIDI guitar controllers that are above the toy/gimmick level.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
God, I hope Timothy Kelly doesn't start posting here. :lol:

(He's an annoying guy who's been shilling the YRG for months on various boards, getting banned or moderated at several).

It's cool that Bruce from Inspired posted here, but I don't think a software update is going to fix what Jeff didn't like about the YRG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.