Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if "Hair Metal" isn't just a question of time until teens start making Bands and playing it and girls totally going for it again. If you asked me this 10-15 years ago I would say nope, not a chance, but after watching what most new "metal bands" and their shitty super violent 10-20 guys kicking around audiences have become, im certain there where will be some sort of going back to it. I'm also pretty sure girls will driving the style come back.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Sweet jesus yes, this is awesome!

Sometimes I wonder if "Hair Metal" isn't just a question of time until teens start making Bands and playing it and girls totally going for it again. If you asked me this 10-15 years ago I would say nope, not a chance, but after watching what most new "metal bands" and their shitty super violent 10-20 guys kicking around audiences have become, im certain there where will be some sort of going back to it. I'm also pretty sure girls will driving the style come back.
Just this past Sunday, I overheard my 16-year old nephew say to someone on video game chat (whatever the fuck it is) "no dude, that shit isn't rock. This is fucking rock" and proceeded to put on Appetite. Maybe things are turning around? After all, he did select GnR's one good album. :D

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Hair Metal worship comes in cycles, just like 60s and garage rock revival. I was totally into 80s music and I graduated in 2004 at the height of nu-metal. You could argue bands like Falling in Reverse and that one A7X album were some kind of attempt at Hair Metal worship as well. So it's out there, just not enough and not done well enough but it's out there.

This song always used to fuck with me because, if memory serves, it's by "one hit wonder" Roxette but it sounds like "one hit wonder" Savage Garden.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
This song always used to fuck with me because, if memory serves, it's by "one hit wonder" Roxette but it sounds like "one hit wonder" Savage Garden.
Roxette a one hit wonder? They've sold like 60 million albums with 4 albums selling over 5 million copies. By these standards there are like a handful of artists that aren't one hit wonders (or that are even one hit wonders). :lol:

·
Registered
374 Posts
That singer's got some pipes. It's refreshing to hear good vocals in metal as the growling, angsty, fake tough-guy bullshit gets old for me.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Does this suggest we'll start hearing guitar solos on the radio again? :facemelt::shred::james::fever:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Roxette a one hit wonder? They've sold like 60 million albums with 4 albums selling over 5 million copies. By these standards there are like a handful of artists that aren't one hit wonders (or that are even one hit wonders). :lol:
Googled it. There's a few songs in there I didn't know we're theirs. A couple of those I thought were Heart or Bonnie Tyler.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
There's a ton of bands out there channeling '80s pop-metal influences. My favorite at the moment is Beast in Black--partly because they see absolutely nothing wrong with mixing Survivor, Judas Priest and New Wave synths together. It's so fucked up, it's brilliant. Their new album sounds like an '80s release at first, but it's not something that actually could have been made in the '80s.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
There's a ton of bands out there channeling '80s pop-metal influences. My favorite at the moment is Beast in Black--partly because they see absolutely nothing wrong with mixing Survivor, Judas Priest and New Wave synths together. It's so fucked up, it's brilliant. Their new album sounds like an '80s release at first, but it's not something that actually could have been made in the '80s.
Yeah, the production and sounds are totally modern, as are the vocals, but the songs, instruments, and vibe are very "late 80s."

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Heh, funnily enough I was just gonna post about Dino Jelusić on here. Cause I was just in Zagreb, I asked a friend who'd lived there about local scene and this guy's name came up.

What a monster vocalist. He just needs good tunes to sing. I always thought I'd overdosed on Zakk and played too many pinch harmonics, but then there's the Animal Drive guitarist "Keller"...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
There is no finer example of this than Jimi Hendrix.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
I just want music to have riffs that I can remember again. :( Most hair metal songs had these giant catchy riffs that you just knew the moment you heard it start.

I can't really say "holy crap, do you like that new Archspire song that goes "blelaljalalalallaalalalweeheheheheheheheheelewooooootatatatatatata!!!" (I love Archspire btw.)
Yeah man. I agree 100% For me a great song is all about having a catchy riff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts