Metal Guitarist Forums banner

681 - 700 of 733 Posts

·
The Devil's Advocate
238 Posts
Those ported randall cabs any good?
Very good cabs for the money. Surprisingly, the RD series speakers are actually damn good sounding. A little less high end bite than a V30, and a lot of tight, controlled low end. I'll be pairing it with a V30 loaded 2x12 eventually for some variety in recording.

Speaking of, here's my tower of power as it sits right now:

·
The Devil's Advocate
238 Posts
How's the Joyo?
It's not going to replace any "real" amp, but it seems to be the ideal backup amp to throw in a bag just in case. It's plenty loud for any show, since they always mic the cabs anyway, and sounds pretty damn decent for under $200.

I recorded a quick and dirty little demo when I got it. I could have done a little less gain and a little better with the mic placement since it sounds a little harsh on the high end, but it gives a good enough idea on how it sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/exdementia%2Fjoyo-zombie-demo-occams-razor-abridged-cover

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

I bought two new amps in the past few months. I've been playing a lot more non-metal stuff lately and the Peavey Classic was a perfect fit. It's actually a pretty badass amp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
DAAAAAAAAMNN

How does the Hinds stand up to the Root and Dark Terror? I really like my Hinds but it was kind of a struggle getting it to a spot I was happy with.
Haha, yeah, I know.... :)
I prefer the Dark Terror to be honest.
The Brent Hinds has more of a vintage sound, still very cool but not as huge and filthy sounding as the Dark.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Haha, yeah, I know.... :)
The Brent Hinds has more of a vintage sound, still very cool but not as huge and filthy sounding as the Dark.
Ahh cool that is what I was thinking. Do you use a boost at all? It really helps get past the vintage to a bit more of a modern territory. I have a TS clone and it helps a ton. I am probably going to pick up a used Dark at some point, unless I just say F it and buy a rockerverb 3 :rofl:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Haha, yeah, I know....

Ahh cool that is what I was thinking. Do you use a boost at all? It really helps get past the vintage to a bit more of a modern territory. I have a TS clone and it helps a ton. I am probably going to pick up a used Dark at some point, unless I just say F it and buy a rockerverb 3
Well, I didn't try a boost (yet).
Thing is I don't really like boosts.
Especially if I just got a new amp I really want to always check out what it can do without needing a boost.
I just prefer to use amps with the character they have naturally.

Of course there are exceptions.
For instance with my 8 string I often like to use a boost because it can be tough to get the needed clarity otherwise.

Next time I hook the amp up I sure will try it with a boost but the Brent didn't have a lot of low end to begin with and adding a boost usually takes that away even more.

681 - 700 of 733 Posts