Metal Guitarist Forums banner

721 - 733 of 733 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Im pretty sure a member of that party would buy a $50 behringer amp with a california setting and still complain that it doesn't sound like the old records they listen to. I should know because I lived it and blew up that amp with some m-80s.
:lol: He means me.

I currently have: SLO, Road King, Budda Superdrive 45, Uberschall, TriAx/2:90, Marshall MP1, Karaktu 5150 pre, SVT and a Kemper.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Not mine, but my nephew got the bottom cab for the Block letter..... now his parents know the true meaning of loud :rofl:

stack.jpg

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
The DSL1 is pound for pound the best amp I've ever bought. It doesn't sound as good as the Jet City or my 6505mh or even my JCM900, but you can get a good sound quick and easy, it goes from whisper quiet to drown out the TV volume and the clean channel is really sweet. And it weighs nothing.
I'm curious to know why you think the DSL1 doesn't sound as good as the 6506MH. I have a 6505MH, and freakin' love it, but I'm thinking about buying one of them DSL1... Ola's demo of it gave me a severe case of GAS.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
I'm curious to know why you think the DSL1 doesn't sound as good as the 6506MH. I have a 6505MH, and freakin' love it, but I'm thinking about buying one of them DSL1... Ola's demo of it gave me a severe case of GAS.
Sorry I missed this. If you're looking to me to talk you out of buying a DSL, you've got the wrong guy. :lol:

I think the 6505mh just had a tiche more grind to it, a more modern sounding gain. The DSL1 is like an old pair of comfortable shoes for me, since I played Marshalls for so long - something about that Marshall tone that I just love... But, the 6505 tone is incredible, so...

My JCA22h beats the 6505mh in that modern, high gain arena but the DSL1 beats 'em both for bedroom level roar. You literally can turn the DSL1 down to the point the string sound drowns it out and it still sounds the same as if it's wide open. Never, ever had an amp able to do that before. The 6505mh had a point where it fell off a cliff turning it down, like most amps. The JCA22h doesn't do quiet, even with a Little Black Box and the -8db from the M108. At .1 watt and barely audible, the DSL sounds incredible.

And, my JCM900 only did "Blow the drywall off the house" volumes for gain and the clean wasn't as pristine as the DSL's. But man, when you opened the JCM up, it was euphoric! :lol: Pretty sure I shook some of the nails out of the 2x4s in Moose's walls with it back in the day.

Played my new Jackson H7 through the DSL the other morning and the Fishman Open Core's sound really good through it, both clean and gain. Pickup-wise, it sounds great with Fishman's, Elysian Trident IIs, Schecter Apocalypse IIs, Duncan Customs and Dimarzio Imperiums - haven't tried anything else yet.

If you're GASing, go get one - I don't regret it for an instant and would rather have it than the 6505mh - but that's my preference and what I use them for. I was originally holding out to get an InvectiveMH, but after hearing Drache's demos of it, I'm glad I got the DSL instead.

Go get one! Worst case, they re-sell used for barely less than the brand new ones, so you lose $25 to scratch that itch. Man, that's the price of a good meal these days. Go feast!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recently I've been getting a lot of use out of my old Crate GX10. It's cut down into a lunchbox sized amp head and I use the preamp out into a Mooer Radar into my computer's line-in.

I've also got a VH140-in-a-box pedal (PLXfx Spirytus) but the Ampeg and Crate cousins aren't voiced the same, the Crate is somewhat darker; 80/900/5k for the Crate vs. 100/1k/3.5k for the Ampeg. Combined they sound absolutely massive. I've also got a Master Effects Martyr that sounds great, especially paired with either of those or my SLO preamp clone.

I've got more preamps and pedals than I need and hardly ever use my amps anymore.

721 - 733 of 733 Posts