Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still planning my new computer build and I need to nail down what kind of RAID config I'm going to use. The computer will naturally be a linux box and I'm thinking that my /home directory will be on the RAID, and the OS and programs will be on an SSD.

I've considered the following configs. I am a n00b when it comes to RAID, and I don't clearly know the pros and cons all of the different configurations.

Idea 1: Simply 4 drives in RAID5

Idea 2: 4 drives in RAID1 pairs

I like that RAID5 gives you access to more storage, but RAID1 is less scary because it has true mirroring.

So, people who know lots about RAID, what are your favorite configs and why?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I like RAID 6 the best, for data security. Not so much for performance. Out of an 8-bay NAS, I can lose 2 drives before I start having data loss.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that does look very cool having dual parity, but would it be worthwhile with only four drives?

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
would it be worthwhile with only four drives?
No. Raid 6 is great if you have more than 10 drives. For 4, it's a huge waste.

For a home NAS, raid 5 will almost certainly be fine.

But I also have a 4tb external drive that backs up my NAS, and all really important data gets shipped offsite.

Edit: why not use freenas?

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I've never done a RAID setup and honestly I feel fine about it. :shrug:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wirelessly posted (boobies: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; DROID2 Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

elq said:
would it be worthwhile with only four drives?

But I also have a 4tb external drive that backs up my NAS, and all really important data gets shipped offsite.

I considered running a FreeNAS server, but decided that I'd be happier with building a powerful computer as my main desktop, and just putting the RAID in there. I'm already running a little miniITX Minecraft server and my Mac in my office. It will be simpler to build a linux machine that can handle all of my needs effectively and retire/sell the others.

I'm also simply pleased with the current state of desktop linux (despite X being a pain) for my needs, and I want to go back to it.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I ran a setup like that in my old box and had no problems (OS on single disk + mirror for /home and a storage scratch disk). If you want TEH MAXIMUM ZPEEDZ use 10/01 which is a mirror across a stripe or a stripe across a mirror and is really fast but also provides redundancy but you lose lots of space (halved). 5 would be fine for you and that's what I would go with.

best = SSD + mdadm raid5

mdadm is great. I blew away the OS on my server, installed a new one straight off the xubuntu disk and had my raid up and running 5 minutes later.

also hard drive prices are going to skyrocket because apparently most of the plants that make them got hit really badly with flooding. I'm kind of glad I have 4 2TB disks sitting on the floor now :lol: but I wish I had bought the other 4 I want

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/20/wd_floods_prices_shortages/

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Oops yeah, I missed the 4 drives part. Yeah, that's crazy for only 4 drives; raid 5 is fine. We use RAID 6, but that's with 8 drives or more.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wirelessly posted (boobies: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; DROID2 Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

RAID5 it is. Thanks guys. I'm also going to have it rsync to a 2TB external drive for paranoia's sake.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts

RAID5 it is. Thanks guys. I'm also going to have it rsync to a 2TB external drive for paranoia's sake.
Have you looked into RAID 10?

You'll get the best of both worlds and have pretty awesome performance from the drives...

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RAID10 is intriguing. It mirrors and stripes the mirrors?

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Basic diagram to explain:

You'll get better read performance over RAID5 and have the safety of mirroring.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could be daft but where is the parity there? This is how I visualize RAID5 style parity.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
There is no parity in raid 10.

What do you want to optimize for? Speed? Safety? Capacity?

No matter which raid you choose - a back up is still necessary, so an external 2tb drive is a great idea.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is no parity in raid 10.

What do you want to optimize for? Speed? Safety? Capacity?

No matter which raid you choose - a back up is still necessary, so an external 2tb drive is a great idea.
Safety and capacity are my main concerns.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
1 prot warrior
1 prot paladin
1 holy priest
1 disc priest
1 holy paladin
1 resto shaman
1 resto druid
2 rogues
2 death knights