Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted here about looking into a replacement for my Diezel Einstein that was stolen and recovered, but trashed.

I have a mate in Denmark that is selling a load of gear and it includes an Engl e570 preamp and e840/50 power amp. Now I know he's selling, but he has suggested that I consider going the rack pre/power route.

I've never considered this before, but it sort of appeals as I already use a TC G-major and ISP Deceminator ProRack G. I can also just hook up to my cab.

I've just looked on YouTube and it would appear the e570 covers all the tones I need apart from the classic Marshall tones and some of the more 'Texas style Blues', but I can live without that :yesway:

If the e570 covers lots of tonal ground, I could also ditch other amps - downsize to a small rack and cab.

Do you guys have any idea how the e570/e840 performs in the studio and at lower sound levels for home practice? I'm sure it will be awesome when I get our there live.

What do you think - should I go 'rack'?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I'm debating going rack as a lightweight solution to the Blackstar. Still keeping the Blackstar, but something I can use if I can't be arsed carting the massive weight, and if I'm just playing somewhere crap where tone isn't exactly important :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm debating going rack as a lightweight solution to the Blackstar. Still keeping the Blackstar, but something I can use if I can't be arsed carting the massive weight, and if I'm just playing somewhere crap where tone isn't exactly important :lol:
Yeah I get what you are saying... I'm thinking of lightweight rack for home, studio and gigs... sort of downsizing!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Just a hint: even if you're going for the newest in Class D/SMPS solid-state amplification, it's hard to build a "light" rack rig if you have more than three pieces in there. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a hint: even if you're going for the newest in Class D solid-state amplification, it's hard to build a "light" rack rig if you have more than three pieces in there. ;)
Okay so a rack aint no light option.... maybe I'll stick with my 212 and heads :scream: just fancied the idea of reducing the number of amps and cabs for a basic rack along the lines of the Engl pre/power. I already have the Furman, ISP and G-major.

I also thought the Engl would cover everything I need in terms of tone and midi-switching.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
By lightweight, I'm guessing you've never lifted a Blackstar :lol: Rather something a similar weight that takes 2 cables to set up and all in one box, than 2 or 3 boxes, then loads of cables :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
By lightweight, I'm guessing you've never lifted a Blackstar :lol: Rather something a similar weight that takes 2 cables to set up and all in one box, than 2 or 3 boxes, then loads of cables :lol:
It'll be hard to build an all-tube rack rig for less than the 62 lbs the Blackstar S1 100 weighs. Hell, my solid-state bass rack consisting of a 15lb 400w amp head, a rack tuner, and a Furman used to weigh more than that.

I also wasn't terribly impressed with the E530. I haven't tried it's bigger brothers though.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
you could get the Engl preamp (which BTW I really like the sound of through a good tube power amp) and an ART 1 space solid state power amp, and a 2 space rack, and have a really lightweight ultra-portable amplifier head that will sound decent. I still think there's a massive drop off between a tube power amp and a solid state though. Tone is almost never lightweight.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
you could get the Engl preamp (which BTW I really like the sound of through a good tube power amp) and an ART 1 space solid state power amp, and a 2 space rack, and have a really lightweight ultra-portable amplifier head that will sound decent. I still think there's a massive drop off between a tube power amp and a solid state though. Tone is almost never lightweight.
:agreed:

At least, not guitar tone. Bass tone, on the other hand...

But that's balanced out by the fact that we need like four times the speaker area of the guitarists to keep up :lol:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Or if you play doom/sludge/drone/etc... you can just mooch of bass-players heads and get the perfect tone and have portability! :woohoo:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Or if you play doom/sludge/drone/etc... you can just mooch of bass-players heads and get the perfect tone and have portability! :woohoo:
Nah, cause all of those guys use the gigantic tube bass heads that weigh in excess of eighty pounds.

EDIT: Forgot this one!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Josh is only saying that because 80lbs is basically twice his body weight, thus hard to lift. :lol:

:wub:

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
those are nice bass amps Josh! The Ampeg SVT series is by far my favorite for bass heads. We had an Ampeg SVT Classic tube head in the studio last year and it sounded just amazing.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
those are nice bass amps Josh! The Ampeg SVT series is by far my favorite for bass heads. We had an Ampeg SVT Classic tube head in the studio last year and it sounded just amazing.
Those all-tube SVTs are great amps. Unfortunately, I can neither afford one, crank it at home, or bring it with me on the subway, so I resort to this:

Makes any amp immediately more Ampeg-y, even the mediocre solid-state Ampeg 350Hs at the practice space.

Also, that TC Electronic head above really sounds like an old-school B-15, and more like an SVT when you push the "Tubetone" and compression up a bit.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
SansAmps are the bomb! When I was in the Asylum, our first bassist had a huge-ass 12 space rack (that the skinny little fucker couldn't carry) filled with a bunch of stuff. He had his bass going into a compressor, then a rackmount SansAmp bass preamp, then into an Ampeg SVT IV. Why all that? I don't know, but it sounded incredibly awesome.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
You just answered your own question :lol: I had basically a smaller version of that setup (rack compressor, MXR Bass DI+ pedal instead of Sansamp rack, and SVT-3 instead of SVT-4) and it sounded beautiful.
No I didn't because the SVT 4 by itself still sounded incredibly awesome :lol:

It's a bass rig, not the space shuttle. :agreed:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts