Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was tracking bass to one of the last tracks on my EP last night and filmed it because I'm a prick like that.

It's meant to have a sort of stoner vibe to it, not really "metal", but it's still kinda heavy cause I chose to do it in B for the extra lumbering feel.

I recorded guitars for this track months ago otherwise I'd have filmed that instead, but there is a lead in the middle for those who are bored to tears by bass (like me).

The rhythm guitars were recorded using a Vintage (brand) VS6 which is like a super cheap SG copy. I borrowed it off Ryan who bought it years ago for like £40 or something stupid :lol: but I threw some 12's on it, shoved it in B and it just had *that* tone. Honky and hairy and just super sludgy.

Anyway I figured the whole track without vocals (which are still being written) would be a bore so I edited it so you just hear the intro, the mid section with solo and then the outtro.

The little blues lead in the outtro was total improv done back when I had the SG. I was going to rerecord it but I kinda liked the sloppy charm of it so I think I'll keep it.

Enough rambling, enjoy!

EDIT: Fucking shitty shortened YouTube link! I'm on my phone so can't embed. If any body could help a brother out that'd be greeeeat.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
That's awesome Matt, I really dig it :metal:

Youtube tells me embedding is disabled by request ;)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
H8

Fixed your link, and this sounds awesome. Not helping my J-bass GAS. :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, 'preciate it!

FWIW this track is quite different to the rest of the EP. It's the only one that sounds like this, really, so it's perhaps a little misleading. I mean it's all essentially groove-orientated hard rock but this is probably the heaviest and sludgiest.

Is this the track I'm gonna do a solo for?
No I'm doing a 9 minute oboe instrumental which will be perfect for that.

I thought you were about to bust out some fingerstyle at the start, especially after you'd mentioned it recently.

That sounds first rate! And the solo was great.
Thanks dude.

Well, just like you said you do yourself, I got to a point and then gave up. I got a blister on my middle finger on my right hand the size of a fucking chickpea. When that went away and hardened up it was a lot easier, but it just became about timing after that, not soreness. I don't have the time to develop timing and give any serious learning hours towards it. I'm much tighter with a pick, so I reach for it for tracking every time. It wasn't for lack of trying though, I did record this with fingers, but it took me so long because of all the punch-ins and required a lot of editing, for no real tonal benefit. So I scrapped it and did it with a pick instead.

Youtube tells me embedding is disabled by request ;)
D'oh! Changed it now...

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll bring my A game. Will probably need to use the triple play omnisphere patch.
Fuck yeah!

so much pick noise on the guitar during intro. feels bad man
I noticed that but luckily I need to redo that anyway, I just used sims for that and as you can hear the octave pedal plug in sounds like shit. It glitches and cuts out in places so I'll redo that with the real deal at a later date.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts