Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... what a fucking awesome album 1919 Eternal is.

Yeah yeah, I know it's not cool to like Zakk Wylde or BLS any more, but I'm fucked if this album isn't absolutely kickass from start to finish.

I think this was literally just on the cusp of when he lost his spark (followed by his mind). Anything after this is the tired old biker-riff-metal that we know BLS to be these days.

The mix is awful, especially the guitar tone, it's scooped and grainy as hell, has no fluidity to it and just sounds like a solid state practice amp on 'crunch' mode.

But all that aside... His voice sounds great, the songs are catchy as hell, and it's got some beautiful guitar playing, whether it be during the ballady-type songs, or some of the more crushing ones (and the riffs on some of these are fucking CRUSHING!)

Battering Ram, Graveyard Disciples, and then the acoustic shredfest that is Speedball... I know some of his greater writing and playing can be found on Ozzy albums (particularly the first couple he was on) but as far as Zakk's solo stuff goes this album absolutely fucking rips :metal:

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I second all of this.

Especially that the mix is garbage.

But you've overlooked that sonic brewtality is better.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Despite being a monster fan of Zakk back in the Ozzy days, I don't even bother giving BLS a chance almost entirely because of Zakk's fucking stupid ass ultra-alpha-male-outlaw-biker persona. When he was young he was an innovative shredder that I looked up to, these days he's a joke. I'm a grown man, I don't give a fuck how tough you are, Zakk.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
because of Zakk's fucking stupid ass ultra-alpha-male-outlaw-biker persona.
As I said in the OP though, I think that persona only really developed to its fullest on the albums after this. It certainly hadn't bled over into the songwriting, anyway. This is still just a straight metal album for the most part, but probably the last one he did before he went full-retard on that shit.

·
Los Cochinos
994 Posts
I opened this thread and this was playing:

I saw Zakk on the No Rest For The Wicked tour and was blown-away, enjoyed his early work but for the life of me never understood the whole biker-transformation thing and can't stand the whole Father Ozzy, Brother Dime, etc crap

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Well if thats the Best of Him... don't want to hear the worst :)

Joking... never got into him. He is an amazing player without a doubt but...dont really dig what he does.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to reiterate that I don't think this is his best work by a LONG shot, but it's also far far far from his worst, and I have a soft spot for it because I think it's often well overlooked. I remember taking my 18th birthday money to an HMV (that's right kids, a shop where you could buy CD's!) and grabbing this, and The Very Best of Testament :lol: spun both discs til they were nearly burned through.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Bro, Blessed Hellride is also the goods for BLS. I'll always have a special place in my heart for that album.

Can't tell you the number of rides I remember being on with my dad, in his old Explorer with the windows down, and cranking the fuck out of that.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
i never thought Zakk was a very good singer. Listening to the opener, and the chorus on this is actually pretty decent and I'd love to hear more of that from him, but the verses are everything I don't like about his voice. And +1 on the mix - the guitars are too quiet relative to the drums, and the bass is too quiet relative to the guitars. :lol: It just never really gels...

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
But you've overlooked that sonic brewtality is better.
:agreed: The best BLS album.

EDIT: Actually it's Sonic Brew. Stronger Than Death is damn good as well. I'm mixed on 1919 Eternal. It's a good album, but it's when the band started to sound too samey. Every album after that was Zakk trying to re-write 1919.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Zakk recorded things after No More Tears? I had no idea.
:highfive:

BLS sucks. All of it. Every album, every song. Pride and Glory was a much better band.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
:agreed: The best BLS album.

EDIT: Actually it's Sonic Brew. Stronger Than Death is damn good as well. I'm mixed on 1919 Eternal. It's a good album, but it's when the band started to sound too samey. Every album after that was Zakk trying to re-write 1919.
Shit. Of course. How did I make that mistake? Also, yes, stronger than death is also better. In fact, probably best (edit: that, of course makes no sense because the best BLS album is between sonic brew and stronger, and stronger is better, imo/edit), I just happened to listen to some of sonic brew recently. Lowdown FTW.

Drinking game: One shot per pinch. Try to survive.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I opened this thread and this was playing:

I saw Zakk on the No Rest For The Wicked tour and was blown-away, enjoyed his early work but for the life of me never understood the whole biker-transformation thing and can't stand the whole Father Ozzy, Brother Dime, etc crap
Yeah, interviews with him are unlistenable because of that.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I still remember when he did the awesome Pentatonic Hardcore vid with Young Guitar. Man did he play his ass off on that! I still revisit that from time to time. :facemelt:

That was when he was cool and still actually looked like Zakk Wylde too. I miss that Zakk.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i never thought Zakk was a very good singer. Listening to the opener, and the chorus on this is actually pretty decent and I'd love to hear more of that from him, but the verses are everything I don't like about his voice.
Check out Bridge To Cross on that album, some really tasteful vocals on there.

Again, nothing amazing, just shows he's got some subtle pipes, and doesn't just scream over everything with that put-on southern twang :lol:

:highfive:

BLS sucks. All of it. Every album, every song. Pride and Glory was a much better band.
I was saving this for that petulant hipster cunt Garrett, but, well... you earned it buddy.

Don't be so fucking ridiculous. You cannot say that BLS, flat out, objectively, has no good songs. If you can't find anything half decent on those first two albums, you can't possibly like metal. Anything after that, I'm with you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts