Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's the 80's all over again!

everyone else is doing 1 cab + mic or even rack direct in, but not him.

This was at the Dome in Wallingford CT with all that remains. this is the 'lobby' of the opera house. Holds about 3000 people, standing room only.

excessive?

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
BLS played here not too long ago; I didn't hear about it, or care :lol:

They're not all on, but it looks cool. Power to you if you can get away with it!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Dummy cabs? I know Metallica does that, as does Iommi, but they aren't actually powered, as far as I know. Just for show.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
What model?

EDIT: Also, to add to the list, I know Malmsteen still does the dummy-wall of Marshalls.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Yeah, good pic :lol:

I wonder what model heads he has up there - usually you can't see the tubes in 'em..

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I think those are prototypes of a new Zakk Wylde signature amp.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Zakk probably has 2 live cabs going and 2 on stand-by for back up. The rest are "dummies". And most the heads are gutted and just rigged to glow. I set up gigs like this for a living and that seems pretty standard through out. The only band I ever worked for that used everything on stage was AC/DC. I was on deck when they started checking the guitar. About blew my fucking head off. :lol:

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't at this show, that's a friend's pic. So, i don't know if they were on, loud, or anything else.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Zakks cabs are the ones in front of the riser, running in stereo through his chorus pedal.

I'm not 100% anymore, but I believe that one pair of cabs are "live" and the other are a hot backup.

The 2nd guitarist has a near identical rig to Zakk's, thus I think the 4 bottom cabs belong to his 2nd guitarist with a bunch of dummies on top. I believe the bassist is running through his row of cabs too. The heads are obviously dummies as both guitarists have their amps racked in the back.

Either way, I think it's cool. When you walk into a BLS show you immediately realize upon looking at the stage that they're there to rock in a bigger than life sort of way.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
5 Posts
He also switches guitars about 15 times. Dummy heads or not, BLS carries around a shit load of gear. When he played in Omaha a couple weeks ago, there were 10 heads/cabs per side, plus the four in front of the riser.

Pretty decent show, though. The sound guy sucked though. Mix was awful.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Unless things have changed, Zakk is still touring with the same 50w JCM800 halfstack he had on the first Ozzy tour. He's basically used that same head for everything he's ever done.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
When we played with BLS, Zakk had a roll in rack of six Marshall heads, I can't swear that all of them were on, but he was loud enough that it was possible.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Zakk probably has 2 live cabs going and 2 on stand-by for back up. The rest are "dummies". And most the heads are gutted and just rigged to glow. I set up gigs like this for a living and that seems pretty standard through out. The only band I ever worked for that used everything on stage was AC/DC. I was on deck when they started checking the guitar. About blew my fucking head off. :lol:
I saw Manowar at a small club (200-250 people tops), and they had maybe 15-20 fullstacks. And they were all on. It was awesome. :lol:

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Zakk's rig is mostly dummy cabs. Saw a recent YT rig rundown. Just a few JCM800s & Zakk Wylde Marshalls running into a couple cabs. Same with Slayer.

I've heard Yngwie runs 20-27 cabs on tour.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts