Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've pretty much disregarded and ignored this band for so long because I assumed it'd be nonsense. What a foolish idea. This is just fucking super-epic. It's about as epic and grand as metal gets. It has some sort of awesome, huge Bond-like quality to it.
The riffing is just top notch. And their playing is spot on. It's nothing that technical, but it's just nicely executed.

I've checked a few other tracks that I've discovered I love, too. Sympozium, Blessings..., The Serpentine Offering, and The Sacrilegious Scorn. The video for this last one is particularly brilliant. Melodramatic, so mundanely sacrilegious and ridiculously camp:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yessir, DB is chock full of win. The last album was my favorite, just about every song on it kicks ass.

Unfortunately, that awesome harmony vocal left the band. :( It was one of the main reasons that I like them so much - usually I'm not terribly into this style.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm assuming you haven't heard Therion?
Nope, but I just checked Sons of the Staves of Time, and that didn't seem anywhere near as epic: old school metal with some synth strings and choir. The orchestral stuff on DB's blistering metal seems a level above.

Yeah, I read Vortex left. And Mustis, too. A shame because it was Vortex's voice and Mustis's parts that really lifts it up for me. I heard a track from the new album, but it didn't really do much for me. And I'm with you on this not being my genre ( I say that fully aware they're not tr00 kvlt black metal at all).

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Dimmu Borgir kicks the shit out of Therion, imo.

Edit: Or it might just be a bad comparison, because I'd probably like those two vids you posted Ken if they weren't in a DB thread. They seem kinda tame compared to DB - being a crazy satan worshiper in corpse paint never looked as cool as they make it seem. :lol:

Their keyboard player is a monster, the guy writes the most epic shit and it all fits the theme/songs perfectly.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Edit: Or it might just be a bad comparison, because I'd probably like those two vids you posted Ken if they weren't in a DB thread. They seem kinda tame compared to DB - being a crazy satan worshiper in corpse paint never looked as cool as they make it seem. :lol:
Might be. I'm just saying that Therion and that one Waltari album are more epic than Dimmu. As far as sheer intensity go, I'll side with Behemoth over Dimmu on that one. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Might be. I'm just saying that Therion and that one Waltari album are more epic than Dimmu. As far as sheer intensity go, I'll side with Behemoth over Dimmu on that one. :lol:
I can't get into Behemoth, I think they might be a little too out there for me. Besides, DB has the most epic videos ever. :lol: The production value on all of them is awesome.

Edit: :( I hate this chick singer. She's not bad at the end of the song, but the screechy shit sucks.

Edit Again: Actually, my bad, I'm thinking of Mastodon, not Behemoth. Long day... :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I never actually checked out Dimmu Borgir until I saw that the other guitarist in my band had a Dimmu Borgir album and I asked him if I could borrow it and he said "Sure. I'll bring it next week." And he brought like 5 Dimmu Borgir albums. :lol: I listened to them all and thought they were awesome. My favorite album so far is Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. :yesway:

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I've never really checked them (Dimmu) out, except for being forced to watch a bit of some dvd of theirs at my old drummer's place....just not my thing.

As far as symphonic stuff goes...I don't think it gets more EPIC than the mighty Rhapsody :D *ducks*

Legendary Tales & The Power Of The Dragonflame...that's where it's at :metal:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Rhapsody were awesome when I was 14, although I cringed every time they try to act. Nowadays I find them quite lame and almost painful to listen to at times.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I still like all the stuff I liked when I was 14 :lol:

I did'nt care at all for the couple of albums they did after TPoTD ...but the new one is much improved. The killer solo's are back & it sounds epic as fuck w/o losing the METAL edge (and speed!) :yesway:

·
swan dive
174 Posts
I never actually checked out Dimmu Borgir until I saw that the other guitarist in my band had a Dimmu Borgir album and I asked him if I could borrow it and he said "Sure. I'll bring it next week." And he brought like 5 Dimmu Borgir albums. :lol: I listened to them all and thought they were awesome. My favorite album so far is Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. :yesway:
Our bass player did that for me with Dimmu, as well as Mayhem, Vader and Morbid Angel when I first joined the band, and we were more of a blackened death type band. I was a big time thrash fan, so it was a bit of a culture shock at first, but I embraced them, and Vader/Morbid led me to a bunch of old school and newer school DM bands that are my favorites (ie. Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Unleashed).

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Dimmu are a fun-ass listen, mostly because of the monster mix of symphony and fast paced metal... partularly on Death Cult... :agreed: but, honestly, I hate Shagrath's smurf-with-throat-cancer vocal style (a.k.a. black metal vox) and their riffing is nowhere near as brutal and inspired as Behemoth's. And with Vortex (who's voice is the shit :metal:) and Mustis out of the band, the new stuff is unsurprisingly dogshite. I shall refer to them as Cradle Of Borgir from hereforward. :lol:

Maybe Vortex & Mustis should join Behemoth. :idea:

Mastodon ≠ boring

Leviathan is a sweet album, and Crack the Skye is pretty awesome as well
Indeed. Crack The Skye was friggin' great. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts